Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #11.167

From: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:00:07 -0400
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.167
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In this digest:
                                 Re: No News???
                                    TREACLE
                              TIM with a Vengeance
                        Re: Cocteau Twins/Personal chat
                           Love-Hounds Digest #11.166
                           Love-Hounds Digest #11.165
                           Love-Hounds Digest #11.164
                             Re: Video Similarities
                                KaTemas in Oz!!
                                   Re: MisK.
                              "Mother...." and blankness
                             Re: letters from Kate

* To unsubscribe send a message containing your request to
  Love-Hounds-request@uunet.uu.net.  Messages sent to the
  list proper will be disregarded.

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 19:28:35 +0200
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Subject: Re: No News???

Sorry to bother all you Love-Hounds but:

Glen Ford, I tried to mail you directly, but the mail bounced.

You wrote to rec.music.gaffa:

>What gives? I have not seen any new articles in 2 days.
>
>Is my news feed botched or are people just not interested
>in KB?

All articles came to me by Love-Hounds mailinglist.
If you want, I could mail it to you. Just write a line
telling me what date(and hour) was the last you got, and
for how many days forward you'd like to have, and I'll
forward a copy of them to you.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
                                            mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se
                                                   a94mikja@ida.his.se

Bones: "Say one thing Spock, you never cease to amaze me!"
Spock: "Nor I myself..."                                         (StarTrek V)

------------------------------

To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: CRSO.KateBush@canrem.com
Subject: TREACLE
From: del.allan@canrem.com (Del Allan)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 15:04:00 -0400

'treacle' at the end of 'YTO', after 'honey, sugar,honey'...the answer
is yes.  I played the song a few times to verify it, and IMHO, yes Kate
does sing 'treacle'.

Thank you to whomever posted to tour dates for The Innocense Mission.  I
only wish that they would come up to Toronto.

Bye for now,

Del Allan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 15:17:20 -0300 (ADT)
From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: TIM with a Vengeance

Since posting my original note about the relevance of the Innocence
MIssion tour dates, I have been informed (thanks, woj and Jeffrey) that
TIM has been discussed in this group for quite some time.

To which I stand corrected, but I don't think it would have killed the
original posters to have maybe told a bit about the band rather than just
plopping the dates in without any explanation. Not everyone here has been
here for a long time....and, without any accompanying information, the
list of dates looks like it could be part of a Spam-O-Rama to totally
irrelevant groups.

Cheers, Fiona

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
From: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Anthony Kyle Monday)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Cocteau Twins/Personal chat
Date: 9 Jul 1995 18:55:48 GMT

In article <3tncv5$inc@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, "Donald B. Treadwell"
<ltbear@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> If you like the Cocteau Twins, you might like to check out
> This Mortal Coil, the lead singer is the same person, Liz Frazier.

THis isn't exactly true. Liz did the vocals on two songs on TMC's first
album, "It'll End In Tears." They're painfully beautiful tracks (Tim
Buckley's "song to the siren" and Roy Harper's "Another Day," a song I
think most of us here have heard of!), far outshining anything else TMC
did on their other two albums. TMC are not a band, per se, but a
collection of artists who recorded on 4AD doing covers of obscure songs,
which often went awry, IMO.
I do however, recommend the first album very, very much.

         Anthony Kyle Monday           /
e-mail: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu / "Jai un a^me solitare"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 12:00:08 -0400
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.166
From: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In this digest:
                                      TIM
                       Katemas Parties List - Updated 7/8
                       personal service, 1-800-559-6558.
                             Rare Kate poster?!?!?
                        Re: Cocteau Twins/Personal chat
                           Re: Cloudbu(r)sting, etc.
                           Re: Rare Kate poster?!?!?
                          Can you help me find ASTA-L?

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 13:43:54 -0300 (ADT)
From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: TIM

I suspect dates for the Innocence Mission would only be of interest to
this group if Kate were the opening act.

Just a thought,
Fiona

 -----------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 10:07:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Katemas Parties List - Updated 7/8

ADDED PARTY IN PORTLAND!

when          where              who              for details contact:

Sun. 7/16/95  Chicago, IL        Chip Lueck &     chip-1@nwu.edu or
                                 Valerie Nozick   (312) 262-4026

Sat. 7/29/95  Boonton, NJ        Meredith & woj   meth@delphi.com or
                                                  woj@remus.rutgers.edu

Sat. 7/29/95  Portland, OR       Michael Bowman   bvmi@odin.cc.pdx.edu

Sun. 7/30/95  Boston, MA         Nancy            TPerry@vmsvax.simmons.edu

Sun. 7/30/95? San Francisco, CA  Bill Wisner      wisner@uunet.uu.net

To have your party added to this list e-mail your info to kln@crl.com

For more information on these parties, contact the hosts directly.

Karen kln@crl.com

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: jjhhggff <102372.3065@CompuServe.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa,rec.music.gdead,rec.music.indian.classical,rec.music.indian.misc,rec.music.industrial
Subject: personal service, 1-800-559-6558.
Date: 8 Jul 1995 17:56:19 GMT

Personal service for Adults only.
Blonde Girls 1-800-559-6557.
Black Girls  1-800-559-6558.
Two Girls Together 1-800-559-6554.

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
From: magus@big12.metrobbs.com (magus)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Rare Kate poster?!?!?
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 14:54:32 -0500

I'm getting ready to move and while doing so a fellow Kate fan freaked out
when he saw the poster which, until then, was never out of the original
plastic. I found it at a going out of business sale for a record store and
though I'd frame it for my new room.

It's of Kate in a workout liatard. Well, he was simply dumbfounded and
stated how it was super hard to get, etc., etc., drolling, etc., etc., she
should do a workout video, etc., etc., breath in, breath out, etc., etc..
;)

Anyway, was just wondering if I shouldn't REALLY take extra care when
getting this poster framed.

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: "Donald B. Treadwell" <ltbear@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 9 Jul 1995 01:55:49 GMT

If you like the Cocteau Twins, you might like to check out
This Mortal Coil, the lead singer is the same person, Liz Frazier.
thx  P.guru using ltbear's system.

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Cloudbu(r)sting, etc.
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 20:20:09 -0700

On Sat, 8 Jul 1995, Peter Chow wrote:

] kevinbryan@aol.com (KevinBryan) wrote:
]
]] That's interesting -- when I first heard the song I assumed she was
]] referring to Aristotle's _Organon_, wherein he talks about physical
]] processes such as weather.
]
] Now there's an interesting thought. She got the goods from a book
] about Wilhelm Reich but he may have come up with the name for his
] ranch 'Organon' as you describe.

The Organon is =not= about physical processes =per se=; it is part of
Aristoteles's attempt to codify the principles of logic. (If anyone
wants me to go on about Aristoteles (aka "Aristotle") and Greek here,
then let me know.  My experience is that some people are annoyed by
such stuff.)

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: David Benson <dobenson@acy.digex.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Rare Kate poster?!?!?
Date: 9 Jul 1995 07:13:12 GMT

It's really hard to say. I've got several Kate
posters,
most of which I found out were quite difficult to
obtain.
  But it's all in the thought. If you believe that
Kate is a genius, then what the poster may be worth
to someone else (as far as monetary gain goes) is
meaningless; it's valuable to you.
  Me? I don't even want to know what the posters,
CDs,
and images that I've collected (and posted at:
http://www.acy.digex.net/~dobenson/benson.html)
are worth. All that matters is spreading the word
of genius.
  And that's what Kate is. And why we're all here at
gaffa. Not to make money, but to understand, spread
the word, and enjoy the music/lyrics/madness that
that we're lucky enough to be alive to hear.

David

 -----------------------------

Date:    Sun, 09 Jul 95 04:21 EDT
From: Jay Jacob Wind <JWJ%NCCIBM1.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu>
To: drsma%DARTCMS1.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
Subject: Can you help me find ASTA-L?

I'm looking for the LISTSERV address of a mail-list called
ASTA-L
This is the list for American String Teachers Association.
in a string teachers newsletter, but there's no such place as CMSU.EDU.

If you know of ASTA-L, can you send me the correct address?
Please reply directly to me, rather than to the list.

Thank you, and my apologies for cross-postings.
-- Jay Wind
   Computer-literate husband of a string teacher in Arlington VA
   JWJ@NCCIBM1.BITNET

 -----------------------------

End of Love-Hounds Digest #11.166
*********************************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 12:00:08 -0400
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.165
From: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In this digest:
                                  Blasphemer!
                         Re: fruitopia and Inner Light
                        MIDIs, Fruitopia + other albums
                    Re: Anagram for Lovehounds: Sound Hovel
                      Re:Exactly Why Nuking Is a Bad Idea
                        The Innocence Mission tour dates
                                     MisK.
                              Re: KT and Rush :-)
                           Re: Cloudbu(r)sting, etc.
                               Re: You're the One

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 1995 15:25:09 MDT
From: chris@genie.kiva.com (Chris Hansen)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Blasphemer!

Glen Ford uttered -

>What gives? I have not seen any new articles in 2 days.

>Is my news feed botched or are people just not interested
>in KB?

Not interested in KaTe?!?!?!?  Just because I lurk doesn't mean I'm
not interested...  :>

Seriously (or not so...), I hope you are now receiving the list so
that your life may regain some meaning!

chris
the lurking one
--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 Terrance C. Hansen    chansen@kiva.com    (801)261-2617

 -----------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 14:26:39 -0700
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Subject: Re: fruitopia and Inner Light

I found this in alt.tv.commercials (No, I don't ordinarily
read that group, but you don't want to know how I found it).

- Stev0 the lurker

 -----------------------------

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Subject: MIDIs, Fruitopia + other albums
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 16:48:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hi there,

I've been in my own little conversation with someone (about MIDI
downloading etc), and just to let others know, I did some close
approximations (OK no singing so I used a Calliope, the other
instrumentation IS very close). You can get them from multiple places:
	www	http://actor.cs.vt.edu/~wentz
	ftp	ftp.cs.ruu.nl:/pub/MIDI/SONGS/POP
			armydrea.zip
			babushka.zip
			cldbstng.zip
		and associated .doc files too.
I can (if you want) email them, but I'll use uuencode (or btoa if you ask),
so check you have a uudecode program of some form first, sorry email
does not handle binary. I did post them a while back in the newsgroup
	alt.binary.sounds.midi
so if you were downloading from there, you will have seen them earlier
this year.

Anyway, the other person I was talking (well, emailling) with, asked me:

> Will there be new files in the future at that site?  I don't think the song
> from the Fruitopia commercial I wanted was there...it's the one where the
> music has the beat like a heartbeat...do you know which one I'm talking
> about?  Also this guy mentioned she had some albums out called "Never For
> Ever" and "Hounds of Love", which of those albums contains the Fruitopia
> music, if either?

My answers are:

Yes, I'm working on Wuthering Heights, but the summer weather tempts me
outside more than sitting in front of a computer screen. I'll do more
tracks as winter keeps me in more.

The Fruitopia commercial I do not believe is on any KaTe album.
I wonder if anyone knows the background into the Fruitopia deal?

Her main albums have been:
	The Kick Inside		(Feb 78)
	Lionheart		(Nov 78)
	Never For Ever		(Sep 80)
	The Dreaming		(Sep 82)
	Hound Of Love		(Sep 85)
	The Sensual World	(Oct 89)
	The Red Shoes		(Nov 93)
There have been various singles, boxed sets, videos, interviews, bootlegs,
etc, but if you collect the above albums, you'll have all but a few of
her songs.

Interestingly, if you plot of album number vs days since her first
album, shows that up until the last album she took near enough one year
longer to release each album (exception of the Dreaming, which took just
2 months longer than Never For Ever). Then a change, The Red Shoes took
virtually the same time to do as The Sensual World, so extrapolating
this fact she has levelled out to a time to release a new album (ie
once every 4 years), the next one should be out Nov-97. Luckily, the
previous analysis of when The Red Shoes would be released (which was
Nov 94, just count the years between each, they go: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4),
this would have meant that the next album would have been Nov 2000. But
again I say LUCKILY things have leveled off to just 4 years per album.
This is IF mathematical analysis can be done on the time taken to
produce an album. Maybe she'll surprise the calculation again and
release a year earlier again, ie Nov-1996 - yes!

			Bryan Dongray

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Anagram for Lovehounds: Sound Hovel
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 15:36:46 -0700

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, stev0 wrote:

> Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> Instead, let's have a lists of luncheon meat that we like or dislike,
>> starting off with olive loaf.
>
> Is that a "Like" or a "Dislike"?

Of course.  That much, at least, should be obvious.

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 00:49:44 +0200
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Subject: Re:Exactly Why Nuking Is a Bad Idea

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995, Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan writes:

>Unfortunately, there are other problems as well.
>
>The ads fall into four classes:
[Paragraphs deleted..]

And Stev0 the dilletante writes:

>WHAT TO DO ABOUT THESE JERKS:
[proper suggestion]

I humbly stand corrected.

What can I say? I lost my temper and didn't concider any implications.
If we started to nuke an E-mail account that had been taken off-line,
their mail-daemon would only bounce the mail, thus wasting a massive
amount of bandwidth.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
                                            mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se
                                                   a94mikja@ida.his.se

 -----------------------------

Posted-Date: 7 Jul 1995 23:58:30 -0400
Received-Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 23:58:33 -0400
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: timission@aol.com (TIMission)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: The Innocence Mission tour dates
Date: 7 Jul 1995 23:58:30 -0400
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

Hi, these are the dates for the Innocence Mission's summer tour:
                                          July
13 - WBOS Noon show @ Copley Square - Boston, MA
15 - WFNX venue tba - Boston, MA
16 - Theatre of the Living Arts - Phila., PA
17 - FEZ - East Village, NYC (Macintosh Convention)
19 - Valentines - Albany, NY
20 - Pearl St. - Northampton, MA
22 - TT Bears - Boston, MA
23 - Granny Killams - Portland, ME
24 - Metronome - Burlington, VT
26 - Shooters Live - Cleveland, OH
27 - 7th House - Pontiac, MI
28 - Top Cats - Cincinnati, OH
29 - Front Room at Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
31 - 328 Performance - Nashville, TN
                                           August
1 - Side Door - St. Louis, MO
3&4 - Schuba's - Chicago, IL
5 - 7th St. Entry - Minneapolis, MN
7 - Bug Theatre - Denver, CO
9 - tba - Salt Lake City, UT
11 - Barbatis Pan - Portland, OR
12 - Backstage - Seattle, WA
14 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
15 - Luna Park - LA, CA
17 - Coach House - San Juan Capistrano, CA
19 - Valley Art Theatre - Phoenix, AZ
22 - Electric Lounge - Austin, TX
23 - Caravan of Dreams - Dallas, TX
25 - tba - Atlanta/Athens, GA
26 - Cat's Cradle - Chapel Hill, NC
28 - tba - Norfolk, VA

 -----------------------------

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 01:20:23 -0400
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: MisK.

Kenny Jow asks whether there are any plans for
an official release of Kate Bush's music for
the Fruitopia account.  As far as any of us knows,
the answer is no -- at least, Peter FitzGerald-Morris,
our premier Kate Bushologist, says nothing about it
in the latest Homeground (No. 55, a typically invaluable
piece of work from the Homegrounders -- congrats, Peter!).

As for the availability of Kate Bush's music in Midi
format, the answer is yes.  Someone posted about making
some of Kate's songs available via the Web, IED believes.
With a good notation application all the extant Kate Bush
sheet-music could be easily transcribed to Midi and put
on the Web.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S         R        I
   P.S.: IED recommends that everyone who can should get
to a Katemas party this year!!

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KT and Rush :-)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:58:01 GMT

dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan) wrote:

>I don't understand why anyone would think that there's some sort of
>affinity between Kate Bush and a bloated conservati-- ooops.  Wrong
>"Rush" maybe.

Hmmm... I seem to be all alone on this one... (well, except for this
person I met at a Katemas do some years ago in Manchester).

Everybody appears to be, at best, an ex-Rush fan, having been
converted to Katonians. Surely I can't be all alone in enjoying both?

They may sound nothing alike but Kate and Rush have both produced
tracks filled with vivid imagary and stories. My favourite albums from
each are HoL and Hemispheres for the same reasons; both are excellent
albums put together with skill and posses a practically 'cinematic'
quality that you can lose yourself in.

One just happens to have more power chords in it's arrangement than
the other :-)

Peter Chow from London (UK)

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:58:27 GMT

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: You're the One
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:58:44 GMT

willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de (Wieland Willker) wrote:

>Hallo,

>this one is from the new HOMEGROUND:
>Heidi Steward, Haworth, Yorks, UK  wrote:

>"I wondered if you could solve a long-standing mystery. At the end of
>"You're the One" when Kate sings "Sugar?...Honey?...Sugar?" after this does
>she also sing "treacle"? I reckon she does but so far only one other person
>has agreed with me. I don't think it'll bring out a new dimension to the
>song or change any views on Kate, but it's just something that needs
>verifying, that's all."

Upon close inspection [if you can inspect sound] the jury returns a
verdict of 'NO TREACLE'.

She does in fact sing,
 "sugar... honey... sugar....WHAYEE-EE-EEAHAGH.... sugar.... sugar".

I can see how the fourth *word* could be construed to mean 'treacle'
:-)

Peter Chow from London (UK)

 -----------------------------

To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: Garrick Twinney <G.Twinney@plymouth.ac.uk>
Date:         8 Jul 95 13:05:57 GMT

> Hallo,
>

> this one is from the new HOMEGROUND:
> Heidi Steward, Haworth, Yorks, UK  wrote:
>
> "I wondered if you could solve a long-standing mystery. At the end
> of "You're the One" when Kate sings "Sugar?...Honey?...Sugar?" after
> this does
> she also sing "treacle"? I reckon she does but so far only one other
> person
> has agreed with me. I don't think it'll bring out a new dimension to
> the
> song or change any views on Kate, but it's just something that needs
> verifying, that's all."
>
> Listen again. Any idea? Or solved long ago?

Oh hello, Heidi Stewart here.
                      ^

I'm not actually able to e-mail anyone  coz I don't have access to an
account and I'm not keen with a computer really. A friend of mine
who does have access, told me about my letter being mailed to the
group, and seeing as though I'm staying at his house at the moment I
thought I'd take advantage of this privelage(?).  I thought I'd
better add, that this letter was written a long time ago and it was
just a little thing I noticed one day. I didn't expect it to get
printed, I suppose I was trying to be a bit of a clever cloggs.
Do things like this have to be taken so seriously?  Okay, it's a
saaad song, I thought that little cheeky twist at the end lifted it a
bit, made it a bit more fly-away, y'know (sorry, just stirring!!).
I'll tell you where I think it is. It's after the last, "sugar?" but
quite a way after it, nearer the end.  It's sung a lot lower than the
 "sugar?...honey?...sugar?" bit...get those headphones on and
listen a little harder.  I'm really sorry for wasting the time of
all those millions who aren't really interested (I thought I'd better
say that coz Garrick said I'll get flamed), it's Oh so trivial and so
much so that I'm saying nothing more about it.  ( by the way, I'm only
17 and so can get away with being so blummin' daft, that's _my_
excuse).  TA.

-Heidi xxx

 -----------------------------

End of Love-Hounds Digest #11.165
*********************************

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 12:00:08 -0400
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.164
From: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In this digest:
                                  Scott Walker
                               Katemas in Chicago
                       Katemas Parties List - Updated 7/6
                              Vampire-connections
                      Anagram for Lovehounds: Sound Hovel
                             Books mentioning Kate
                                      Hey.
                                     MisK.
                          Music Gathering in Portland
                       Re[2]: Love-Hounds Digest #11.163
                               More silliness???
                     Re: These shoes do, a kind of voodoo ?
                        Red Shoes discography on the Web
                        Exactly Why Nuking Is a Bad Idea
                                   No News???

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: kpd000@colum.edu (Keith DeWeese x422)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Scott Walker
Date: 6 Jul 1995 16:25:17 GMT

Forgive me if this non-Kate post regarding another recording celebrity
raises your hackles, but I'm asking for address information regarding any
forums that support discussion of Scott Walker's music.  Thank you for
reading.

Keith
--

 -----------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 11:34:43 -0500
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net, ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu
From: chip-l@nwu.edu (Chip Lueck )
Subject: Katemas in Chicago

Him: Gee, Valerie, what can we do to create the best Katemas celebration
     east of the Mississippi?

Her: Well, Chip, I don't know. Short of travelling to Germany to visit
     other ectophiles/love hounds, what could we do?

Him: Erm, well, I'm doing that actually.

Her: (seething) Not all of us can travel 1000s of miles on a whim. We'll
     have to think of something else.

{both think intensely. Bits of steam escape from Valerie's ears. Flames leap
out of Chip's eyes}

Her: I know! We can host our own Katemas celebration, right here in
     Chicago!

Him: Yeah! On July 16th, so I can take the pictures to Germany with me.

Her: (turning her back to Chip) Harumph!

{minutes of silence while Valerie gets over her jealousy and Chip silently
tallies the number of hours Valerie slave work at her job while Chip is
enjoying summertime in Europe}

Her: We'd better get around to inviting everyone on ecto and gaffa.

Him: I already took the liberty of doing that.

Her: Smart ass. Tell people to email you at chip-l@nwu.edu for details.

Him: Or you at vnozick@tribune.com.

Her: Sounds good. Now let's be good ectophiles and go to that Barry Manilow
concert.

Just kidding! Here's a different, more serious idea:

Deck the halls, it's that time of the year again!

Katemas is near, and it's time to PARTY!

Rock in the new Kate year with a Chicago Katemas gathering, courtesy of
Chip and Valerie (the other C&V). Music, videos, friendly company, two
really cute cats, Tim Cook from England... What more could you want? It's
coming up soon -- July 16, since Chip is flying to Germany over the real
Katemas weekend.

Chip's place is located near public transportation, so it's easy to get to.
And crash space is available for the whole weekend. Drop Chip a line at
chip-l@nwu.edu, or Valerie at vnozick@tribune.com, if you're coming.

Chip Lueck (Jeff)                          chip-l@nwu.edu
"Drag me, drop me & treat me like an object!"

 -----------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Katemas Parties List - Updated 7/6

ADDED PARTY IN BOSTON!

Date: Thu,  6 Jul 95 19:24:01 PDT
From: Guido Lombaerts <lombaeg@interpac.interpac.be>
Subject: Vampire-connections
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
content-length: 1202

Hello everyone!

Chris Verret wrote:
>Seems to be the case. Not only is there the batkate backcover, but last
>weekend there were 2 dracula movies on tv and they both contained a
>tune that you can find back on Kate's records.
>The movies were:
>1) Nosferatu                 (very recognizable tune)
>2) The Return of Count Yorga (less recognizable tune)
>Anyone know other Kate-Dracula connections?
   Well, I read somewhere that Kate was once offered a leading part in a vampire-film. Anyone have
anymore details on that?

   And staying with horror-films for a moment. When you look closely in one of the Elm Street films (I forgot
which one exactly, but my guess is the third) you'll spot a "Lionheart" poster on a bedroom wall...

  BTW, Chris, it's great to see another Kate-fan from Belgium on the list :-)

  And as far as "Turkish Delight" goes... I actually went for quite a long time believing it *was* Kate. So
thanks you guys, for clearing up this little matter :)

           bye for now :)

               Emmy.

                                           Emmy May Lombaerts
                                           lombaeg@mail.interpac.be

PS: Hi Yves, Marcel and Ulli :)

 -----------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 13:13:09 -0700
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Subject: Anagram for Lovehounds: Sound Hovel

braffet@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Elizabeth Braffet) spouts:

>   The speech in Babylon 5 is talking about something different, the
>courage to love rather than the hunt for love. Nevertheless, I would
>endorse the recommendation to watch that program, simply because is it a
>show that is better thought out than most (IMHO).

I would recommend "Babylon 5" for anyone who LOVES bad acting, the
moldiest of scripts, and special effects straight out of "Battlestar
Galactica".  OK, it's not NEARLY as painful to watch as "VR 5", but
it's right up there.  Me, I'd rather watch reruns of "Cop Rock".

mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen) rants:

>I have a sollution that some might think is a bad idea:

>We all agree (even all lurkers) to send a couple of copies each back to
>those post ads.
>Nuke them with their own posts!  ;-)
>That way they will (hopefully) learn to stay away.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!" - Sam, from "Sam and Max hit the Road".

Mailbombing a jerk who sends innappropriate ads is a VERY bad idea,
because one of the two will happen:

1) It hurts the innocent OTHER users on the system (not to mention
   the probably-innocent sysadmin) OR
2) The account will probably be pulled by the time you read the
   message anyway, so the sender will never see your bomb, anyway.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT THESE JERKS:

Copy the letter and send the complete letter WITH HEADER to
postmaster@ and wherever the letter was sent from.  For example,
if canter@foo.bar.com sends chain letter to MAKE MONEY FAST, copy
it and send it to postmaster@bar.com (The "foo" is just the name
of the user's node, so ignore it).  You can be rest assured the
jerk will never spam again...

ObKate - I think William Wegman should have done the cover
for "Hounds of Love"

- Stev0 the dilletante

"Gaffa doesn't mean ANYTHING!  It's just something I made
up one day while playing Scrabble."
 - Things we'd like to hear Kate say #42

 -----------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 1995 19:51:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: THE OLIVE-LOAF VIGILANTE <METH@delphi.com>
Subject: Books mentioning Kate
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Emma Bull's _The War For The Oaks_ has a scene in it wherein one of the
protagonists comes home in a snit and puts on _HoL_ to cheer herself up.
And Terry Pratchett's _Pyramids_ (I think -- it's one of the Discworld novels)
has a footnote which mentions Kate (not to mention the harem girl getting
abducted on the cover looks ***exactly*** like Kate in a modified Babooshka
outfit).

If I were a fiction writer I'd mention Kate, but I don't think that counts. :)

+==========================================================================+
|Meredith Tarr                                              meth@delphi.com|
|Boonton, NJ  USA                  finger info at: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu|
+==========================================================================+
|  "Turnips do not invite fan members to sit on their couches on stage."   |
|                                                        -Irvin F. Lin     |
+==========================================================================+

 -----------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 17:02:06 -0700
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@eddie.mit.edu
From: Kenny Jow <rfrog@indirect.COM>
Subject: Hey.

Hey, I was wondering if I could subscribe to the Kate discussion group.  I
would like to see her music in .mod .s3m or even .midi format...I was
wondering if there is such an animal, and if not, if she will be releasing a
compilation of her music from the Fruitopia commercials on CD anytime soon,
please reply soon.

 -----------------------------

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 20:21:41 -0400
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

 > 2) The Return of Count Yorga (less recognizable tune)

What is this less recognizable tune, and where can it
be found in Kate's work?

 > Anyone know other Kate-Dracula connections?

As a matter of fact, yes. An early song (found among
the "Cathy Demos"), called "Carmilla" (note spelling),
is based on Sheridan LeFanu's novella about a vampire.

 -----------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 19:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Bowman <bvmi@odin.cc.pdx.edu>
To: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu, fte@yoyo.monash.edu.au, rdt@oasis.nova.net,
        old-ways@tomservo.edaal.ingr.com, rfn@world.std.com,
        love-hounds@uunet.uu.net, John Zimmer <tiefe@agora.rdrop.com>,
        mklprc@teleport.com, rumpletail@aol.com, nijoh@teleport.com,
        kln@crl.com, Aaron McEmrys <iceblink@teleport.com>
Subject: Music Gathering in Portland

On Saturday, July 29th I'll be hosting a musical gathering in Portland,
OR. This is to celebrate Katemas and mjm (from Ecto) and his wife being
in town for the weekend. It will probably be in the evening. Music will
be of the Kate/Sarah/Loreena/Tori/Happy/etc./etc./etc. type. If you're
interested contact me.

Michael Bowman
Portland Ecto Social Director
bvmi@odin.cc.pdx.edu

 -----------------------------

From: armitage.steve@adlittle.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 20:49:18 -0400
Subject: Re[2]: Love-Hounds Digest #11.163
To: armitage.steve@adlittle.com, Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET,
        Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I have the Kick Inside Picture Disk Album (1st Edition)

Love
Steve

Ps Love, Peace and Banana's

 -----------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 18:39:02 +1000 (EST)
From: Brett Harris <bretthar@nswbeta.nsw.BoM.GOV.AU>
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: More silliness???

Hi Katefans,

So it looks like I wasnt the only one to hear similarities with
"All we ever look for" and the X-files theme..(thanks Thomas, Cary...)

Actually I like Cary's suggestion of the whistling from "The Dreaming"
sounding like it as well, maybe without the baaaa's however.

As for Will Yum, I really meant the whistling type sound that trails
off right at the end.  I would suggest "Ner, ner, ner, ner, nuh, NAAAAH"
is more appropriate for "The Jig of Life".

Brett Harris
Bureau of Meteorology
Canberra AUSTRALIA

"Have you ever seen a picture of *Kate* laughing,
Mmm do ya think she has a beautiful smile..."

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@pipex.net
From: chriss@unipalm.pipex.com (Chris Stratford)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: These shoes do, a kind of voodoo ?
Date: 7 Jul 1995 11:32:35 GMT

In article <393@absfabs.demon.co.uk>, James@absfabs.demon.co.uk says...

>Also this may be very naive, but if I wanted to see if my independent CD
>supplier could get "This woman's work extended 1,2 & 3", where should
>I ask him to look, references etc? Or does anyone know who would be the
>best supplier local to the UK ?

"Local to the UK" isn't very specific, but I usually find that record and
CD fairs ar ethe best places to try.  There's a particularly good one
that does the rounds in the Thames Valley area.

    Chris.

 -----------------------------

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Subject: Red Shoes discography on the Web
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 13:10:48 GMT
Sender: cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

Some of you may remember the discography I compiled of TRS-related releases
which was posted once or twice here, probably more that a year ago now. I've
added to it a bit since then and it's just occured to me to put it out on
this newfangled World-Wide Web thingummy - you can get to it via my home
page at http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~st. Corrections/additions, as always,
welcome.

--
Scott Telford, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,        <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.(+44 131 650 5978)

 -----------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Exactly Why Nuking Is a Bad Idea
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 06:15:01 -0700

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, Mikael Jakonen wrote:

> I have a sollution that some might think is a bad idea:
>
> We all agree (even all lurkers) to send a couple of copies each back to
> those post ads.
> Nuke them with their own posts!  ;-)
> That way they will (hopefully) learn to stay away.
>
> The only problem is: where to draw the line between an OK post and
> those to nuke.

Unfortunately, there are other problems as well.

The ads fall into four classes:

(1) Ads from purely temporary accounts.  The poster has accepted a
trial account with AOL, CompuServe, Delphi, or whomever, and is
=only= going to use it to post ads during the trial period, and then
bail.  The poster isn't going to even be around to read the email.
And these carriers are =not= going to go to the expense of tracking
down and suing the poster.

(2) Ads from more persistent accounts, with normal header info.
Here, the best thing to do is to forward a copy of the ad to
postmaster or root at the host-site.  The administrator will either
strip the user of access to the computer, or warn the user that any
repetition will cause such loss.  In the latter case, some sort of
nuking would perhaps reinforce the point.

(3) Ads from persistent accounts, with partially censored headers.
In this case, your mail handler may report that there is a missing
user-id and/or a missing host-site.  However, if you =save= the
message as a file, and then look at the full header with a text
editor, you can sometimes find (1) the site-name, and (2), a message
id.  In this case, do =not= send the message to postmaster with the
=forward= command of your mail handler, because important info may
be stripped out of the header by your handler.  =Instead=, start a
=new= message to postmaster, and then read the saved message into
the body of your message.  The administrator can use the message-id
to identify the culprit.  The administrator will strip the user of
the account.

(4) Ads with thoroughly censored headers.  Through a combination of
lax security at some sites, and a bit of expertise on the part of
the user, it is sometimes possible to make it impracticable to track
a message.  Unless someone here is a really good counter-hacker, we
can't do anything about such postings.

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Glen Ford <glen@olc.interlog.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: No News???
Date: 7 Jul 1995 14:26:33 GMT

What gives? I have not seen any new articles in 2 days.

Is my news feed botched or are people just not interested
in KB?

Glen Ford

 -----------------------------

End of Love-Hounds Digest #11.164
*********************************

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Gord Locke)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Video Similarities
Date: 9 Jul 1995 23:33:01 GMT

Kate has said (don't remember where I read this) that the Ashes to Ashes
video was a direct influence on the Breathing video.  Bowie's came first.
The two clips did not have the same director.
	Ashes to Ashes is probably one of my favorite music vids of all
time--totally spooky and eerie.  Cool that it would have an affect/influence
on Kate.
--
  Gord Locke | glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca | "Don't just question authority . . .
   in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada  | question EVERYTHING." - Jello Biafra

------------------------------

From: LoveHound@eworld.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 22:04:25 -0700
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net, R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz
Subject: KaTemas in Oz!!

G'day all,

I'm sorry for not getting this info out sooner.  :-\ After talking it over
with Stephen last Friday we decided to hold KaTemas this year in sunny
Wollongong!! Come one, come all!! Just make sure you let me know if your
coming so we can *try* and figure out some place to put you! :-)

So, here are the details.
Date: Satyrday, 29th July midday through to whenever on Sunday 30th July.

Place: MY FLAT! :-)
2/30 Berkeley Road
Gwynneville (Wollongong) 2500

Phone/Fax: 042 266985.

Bring your own meat and plonk.. #-P

We'll be starting the barby about 3:00pm. I'll be suppling all the rest of
the nibbles and side dishes etc.

Bring any KaTe (or related) stuff you want. I've got heaps myself so most
KaTe music *should* be well accounted for. If you need a lift from the
station (either North Wollongong or Wollongong station) then let me know and
I'll pick anybody up.

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING TO YA! :-)

              _  |  __|  _ | __ \   _ |  _   _  |
 _) _) _)    (   | |    (  | |   | (  | |   |   |   _) _) _)
            \__  |_|   \___|_|  _|\___|_|  _|  _|

            \___/

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@Belgium.EU.net
From: chrissy@stro5.vub.ac.be (Chrissy)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: MisK.
Date: 10 Jul 1995 08:47:27 GMT

IEDSRI@aol.com wrote:
> > 2) The Return of Count Yorga (less recognizable tune)
>
> What is this less recognizable tune, and where can it
> be found in Kate's work?

I believe it's the strange sound just before Saxaphone Song (?)
on The Kick Inside.

--
Chris Verret...................................chrissy@stro5.vub.ac.be

------------------------------

From: "R.L.Crane" <R.L.Crane@sheffield.ac.uk>
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Date:          Mon, 10 Jul 1995 10:43:13 +0100
Subject:        "Mother...." and blankness

Hi,

Slightly more serious, this time.

Does anyone just happen to know the guitar chords for "Mother
Stands for Comfort?  And if so,could they pass them on to me, please?
You would, of course, be rewarded with eternal gratitude. :-)

Thank you......

By the way, did anyone else get a 'blank' 'hounds #11.166 ?

Will Yum!

"A Different Kind of Tinsel
                     Decorates My Tree..."

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Sam <74507.1241@CompuServe.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: letters from Kate
Date: 10 Jul 1995 15:29:52 GMT

Well James,

Yes, I have had the briefest, surrealest, heart-racing, fan-like
sort of contact with Kate.

December 1993, Tower Records, New York City.  Five hours waiting
in the chill, quaking as the buzz moved through the line that
*she* had arrived.  Harassing and delighting my co-fans by
whipping out a tape recorder and getting their on-the-scene
thoughts about KateFandom and being there for the big approaching
moment.  Getting inside the store, seeing the videos playing, the
Red Shoes backdrop, just the top of the brunette head.  And then,
her in sight.  Really her!  *HER*, for godsakes!!!  This woman
who, unknown to her, was one of my closest friends through
adolescense.  I held tight clenched hands with a white-faced
woman who'd been a stranger hours before, as we moved to the
front of the line, just barely able to make out the tiny familiar
voice offering warm words to dazed fans.  It was painful.  To
know this would all be over so soon...what to say?? Remember to
look her in the eye.  Remember to say something somewhat
intelligent.  Remember to give her the book you bought her.
Remember to touch her hand.

My turn!!!!

--
Sam