Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: letters from Kate

From: Sam <74507.1241@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 10 Jul 1995 15:29:52 GMT
Subject: Re: letters from Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Well James,

Yes, I have had the briefest, surrealest, heart-racing, fan-like
sort of contact with Kate.

December 1993, Tower Records, New York City.  Five hours waiting
in the chill, quaking as the buzz moved through the line that
*she* had arrived.  Harassing and delighting my co-fans by
whipping out a tape recorder and getting their on-the-scene
thoughts about KateFandom and being there for the big approaching
moment.  Getting inside the store, seeing the videos playing, the
Red Shoes backdrop, just the top of the brunette head.  And then,
her in sight.  Really her!  *HER*, for godsakes!!!  This woman
who, unknown to her, was one of my closest friends through
adolescense.  I held tight clenched hands with a white-faced
woman who'd been a stranger hours before, as we moved to the
front of the line, just barely able to make out the tiny familiar
voice offering warm words to dazed fans.  It was painful.  To
know this would all be over so soon...what to say?? Remember to
look her in the eye.  Remember to say something somewhat
intelligent.  Remember to give her the book you bought her.
Remember to touch her hand.

My turn!!!!

--
Sam