Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #11.165

From: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 12:00:08 -0400
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.165
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In this digest:
                                  Blasphemer!
                         Re: fruitopia and Inner Light
                        MIDIs, Fruitopia + other albums
                    Re: Anagram for Lovehounds: Sound Hovel
                      Re:Exactly Why Nuking Is a Bad Idea
                        The Innocence Mission tour dates
                                     MisK.
                              Re: KT and Rush :-)
                           Re: Cloudbu(r)sting, etc.
                               Re: You're the One

* To unsubscribe send a message containing your request to
  Love-Hounds-request@uunet.uu.net.  Messages sent to the
  list proper will be disregarded.

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 1995 15:25:09 MDT
From: chris@genie.kiva.com (Chris Hansen)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Blasphemer!

Glen Ford uttered -

>What gives? I have not seen any new articles in 2 days.

>Is my news feed botched or are people just not interested
>in KB?

Not interested in KaTe?!?!?!?  Just because I lurk doesn't mean I'm
not interested...  :>

Seriously (or not so...), I hope you are now receiving the list so
that your life may regain some meaning!

chris
the lurking one
--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 Terrance C. Hansen    chansen@kiva.com    (801)261-2617

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 14:26:39 -0700
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Subject: Re: fruitopia and Inner Light

I found this in alt.tv.commercials (No, I don't ordinarily
read that group, but you don't want to know how I found it).

- Stev0 the lurker

------------------------------

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Subject: MIDIs, Fruitopia + other albums
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 16:48:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hi there,

I've been in my own little conversation with someone (about MIDI
downloading etc), and just to let others know, I did some close
approximations (OK no singing so I used a Calliope, the other
instrumentation IS very close). You can get them from multiple places:
	www	http://actor.cs.vt.edu/~wentz
	ftp	ftp.cs.ruu.nl:/pub/MIDI/SONGS/POP
			armydrea.zip
			babushka.zip
			cldbstng.zip
		and associated .doc files too.
I can (if you want) email them, but I'll use uuencode (or btoa if you ask),
so check you have a uudecode program of some form first, sorry email
does not handle binary. I did post them a while back in the newsgroup
	alt.binary.sounds.midi
so if you were downloading from there, you will have seen them earlier
this year.

Anyway, the other person I was talking (well, emailling) with, asked me:

> Will there be new files in the future at that site?  I don't think the song
> from the Fruitopia commercial I wanted was there...it's the one where the
> music has the beat like a heartbeat...do you know which one I'm talking
> about?  Also this guy mentioned she had some albums out called "Never For
> Ever" and "Hounds of Love", which of those albums contains the Fruitopia
> music, if either?

My answers are:

Yes, I'm working on Wuthering Heights, but the summer weather tempts me
outside more than sitting in front of a computer screen. I'll do more
tracks as winter keeps me in more.

The Fruitopia commercial I do not believe is on any KaTe album.
I wonder if anyone knows the background into the Fruitopia deal?

Her main albums have been:
	The Kick Inside		(Feb 78)
	Lionheart		(Nov 78)
	Never For Ever		(Sep 80)
	The Dreaming		(Sep 82)
	Hound Of Love		(Sep 85)
	The Sensual World	(Oct 89)
	The Red Shoes		(Nov 93)
There have been various singles, boxed sets, videos, interviews, bootlegs,
etc, but if you collect the above albums, you'll have all but a few of
her songs.

Interestingly, if you plot of album number vs days since her first
album, shows that up until the last album she took near enough one year
longer to release each album (exception of the Dreaming, which took just
2 months longer than Never For Ever). Then a change, The Red Shoes took
virtually the same time to do as The Sensual World, so extrapolating
this fact she has levelled out to a time to release a new album (ie
once every 4 years), the next one should be out Nov-97. Luckily, the
previous analysis of when The Red Shoes would be released (which was
Nov 94, just count the years between each, they go: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4),
this would have meant that the next album would have been Nov 2000. But
again I say LUCKILY things have leveled off to just 4 years per album.
This is IF mathematical analysis can be done on the time taken to
produce an album. Maybe she'll surprise the calculation again and
release a year earlier again, ie Nov-1996 - yes!

			Bryan Dongray

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Anagram for Lovehounds: Sound Hovel
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 15:36:46 -0700

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, stev0 wrote:

> Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> Instead, let's have a lists of luncheon meat that we like or dislike,
>> starting off with olive loaf.
>
> Is that a "Like" or a "Dislike"?

Of course.  That much, at least, should be obvious.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 00:49:44 +0200
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Subject: Re:Exactly Why Nuking Is a Bad Idea

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995, Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan writes:

>Unfortunately, there are other problems as well.
>
>The ads fall into four classes:
[Paragraphs deleted..]

And Stev0 the dilletante writes:

>WHAT TO DO ABOUT THESE JERKS:
[proper suggestion]

I humbly stand corrected.

What can I say? I lost my temper and didn't concider any implications.
If we started to nuke an E-mail account that had been taken off-line,
their mail-daemon would only bounce the mail, thus wasting a massive
amount of bandwidth.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
                                            mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se
                                                   a94mikja@ida.his.se

------------------------------

Posted-Date: 7 Jul 1995 23:58:30 -0400
Received-Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 23:58:33 -0400
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: timission@aol.com (TIMission)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: The Innocence Mission tour dates
Date: 7 Jul 1995 23:58:30 -0400
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

Hi, these are the dates for the Innocence Mission's summer tour:
                                          July
13 - WBOS Noon show @ Copley Square - Boston, MA
15 - WFNX venue tba - Boston, MA
16 - Theatre of the Living Arts - Phila., PA
17 - FEZ - East Village, NYC (Macintosh Convention)
19 - Valentines - Albany, NY
20 - Pearl St. - Northampton, MA
22 - TT Bears - Boston, MA
23 - Granny Killams - Portland, ME
24 - Metronome - Burlington, VT
26 - Shooters Live - Cleveland, OH
27 - 7th House - Pontiac, MI
28 - Top Cats - Cincinnati, OH
29 - Front Room at Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
31 - 328 Performance - Nashville, TN
                                           August
1 - Side Door - St. Louis, MO
3&4 - Schuba's - Chicago, IL
5 - 7th St. Entry - Minneapolis, MN
7 - Bug Theatre - Denver, CO
9 - tba - Salt Lake City, UT
11 - Barbatis Pan - Portland, OR
12 - Backstage - Seattle, WA
14 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
15 - Luna Park - LA, CA
17 - Coach House - San Juan Capistrano, CA
19 - Valley Art Theatre - Phoenix, AZ
22 - Electric Lounge - Austin, TX
23 - Caravan of Dreams - Dallas, TX
25 - tba - Atlanta/Athens, GA
26 - Cat's Cradle - Chapel Hill, NC
28 - tba - Norfolk, VA

------------------------------

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 01:20:23 -0400
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: MisK.

Kenny Jow asks whether there are any plans for
an official release of Kate Bush's music for
the Fruitopia account.  As far as any of us knows,
the answer is no -- at least, Peter FitzGerald-Morris,
our premier Kate Bushologist, says nothing about it
in the latest Homeground (No. 55, a typically invaluable
piece of work from the Homegrounders -- congrats, Peter!).

As for the availability of Kate Bush's music in Midi
format, the answer is yes.  Someone posted about making
some of Kate's songs available via the Web, IED believes.
With a good notation application all the extant Kate Bush
sheet-music could be easily transcribed to Midi and put
on the Web.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S         R        I
   P.S.: IED recommends that everyone who can should get
to a Katemas party this year!!

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KT and Rush :-)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:58:01 GMT

dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan) wrote:

>I don't understand why anyone would think that there's some sort of
>affinity between Kate Bush and a bloated conservati-- ooops.  Wrong
>"Rush" maybe.

Hmmm... I seem to be all alone on this one... (well, except for this
person I met at a Katemas do some years ago in Manchester).

Everybody appears to be, at best, an ex-Rush fan, having been
converted to Katonians. Surely I can't be all alone in enjoying both?

They may sound nothing alike but Kate and Rush have both produced
tracks filled with vivid imagary and stories. My favourite albums from
each are HoL and Hemispheres for the same reasons; both are excellent
albums put together with skill and posses a practically 'cinematic'
quality that you can lose yourself in.

One just happens to have more power chords in it's arrangement than
the other :-)

Peter Chow from London (UK)

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Cloudbu(r)sting, etc.
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:58:27 GMT

kevinbryan@aol.com (KevinBryan) wrote:

>That's interesting -- when I first heard the song I assumed she was
>referring to Aristotle's _Organon_, wherein he talks about physical
>processes such as weather.

Now there's an interesting thought. She got the goods from a book
about Wilhelm Reich but he may have come up with the name for his
ranch 'Organon' as you describe.

Peter Chow from London (UK)

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: You're the One
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:58:44 GMT

willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de (Wieland Willker) wrote:

>Hallo,

>this one is from the new HOMEGROUND:
>Heidi Steward, Haworth, Yorks, UK  wrote:

>"I wondered if you could solve a long-standing mystery. At the end of
>"You're the One" when Kate sings "Sugar?...Honey?...Sugar?" after this does
>she also sing "treacle"? I reckon she does but so far only one other person
>has agreed with me. I don't think it'll bring out a new dimension to the
>song or change any views on Kate, but it's just something that needs
>verifying, that's all."

Upon close inspection [if you can inspect sound] the jury returns a
verdict of 'NO TREACLE'.

She does in fact sing,
 "sugar... honey... sugar....WHAYEE-EE-EEAHAGH.... sugar.... sugar".

I can see how the fourth *word* could be construed to mean 'treacle'
:-)

Peter Chow from London (UK)

------------------------------

To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: Garrick Twinney <G.Twinney@plymouth.ac.uk>
Date:         8 Jul 95 13:05:57 GMT

> Hallo,
>

> this one is from the new HOMEGROUND:
> Heidi Steward, Haworth, Yorks, UK  wrote:
>
> "I wondered if you could solve a long-standing mystery. At the end
> of "You're the One" when Kate sings "Sugar?...Honey?...Sugar?" after
> this does
> she also sing "treacle"? I reckon she does but so far only one other
> person
> has agreed with me. I don't think it'll bring out a new dimension to
> the
> song or change any views on Kate, but it's just something that needs
> verifying, that's all."
>
> Listen again. Any idea? Or solved long ago?

Oh hello, Heidi Stewart here.
                      ^

I'm not actually able to e-mail anyone  coz I don't have access to an
account and I'm not keen with a computer really. A friend of mine
who does have access, told me about my letter being mailed to the
group, and seeing as though I'm staying at his house at the moment I
thought I'd take advantage of this privelage(?).  I thought I'd
better add, that this letter was written a long time ago and it was
just a little thing I noticed one day. I didn't expect it to get
printed, I suppose I was trying to be a bit of a clever cloggs.
Do things like this have to be taken so seriously?  Okay, it's a
saaad song, I thought that little cheeky twist at the end lifted it a
bit, made it a bit more fly-away, y'know (sorry, just stirring!!).
I'll tell you where I think it is. It's after the last, "sugar?" but
quite a way after it, nearer the end.  It's sung a lot lower than the
 "sugar?...honey?...sugar?" bit...get those headphones on and
listen a little harder.  I'm really sorry for wasting the time of
all those millions who aren't really interested (I thought I'd better
say that coz Garrick said I'll get flamed), it's Oh so trivial and so
much so that I'm saying nothing more about it.  ( by the way, I'm only
17 and so can get away with being so blummin' daft, that's _my_
excuse).  TA.

-Heidi xxx

End of Love-Hounds Digest #11.165