Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #11.277

From: Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.uu.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:00:09 -0500
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.277
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

In this digest:
                                   Best Works
                       of Marmalade, Vegemite and Marmite
                               re: SPAM magazine
                             Re: Marmitetology Mix
                                  Heather Nova
                                  HOTFP BLUPUS
                              Re: Are you kidding?
      things I found in the US which I would've bought if I didn't have'em
                                Re: Hello, Earth
                                Rubber-fan girl?
                                 Re: Hitchcock
                                Re: spam filter

* To unsubscribe send a message containing your request to
  Love-Hounds-request@uunet.uu.net.  Messages sent to the
  list proper will be disregarded.

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 20:06:56 +0100
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Subject: Best Works

Eugene and stuffs <emg@unr.edu> wrote:

>I saw an ad in Goldmine for a dual CD thing called "Kate Bush: The Best
>Works".  Apparently, it was only availible as a Japanese promo item, and
>the place that's selling it is asking for $300.
>
>Does anyone know what's on this (track listing), or anything else about it?
>Just curious....

        The full title of this item is "Moments of pleasure - the best works
1978-1993". Track-listing is as follows:

CD1:                                                                     CD2:
Rubberband girl                                                    babooshka
And so is love                                                        the
wedding list
Eat the music                                                         violin
Moments of pleasure                                             army dreamers
The red shoes                                                        sat in
your lap
Why should I love you                                          the dreaming
You're the one                                                       running
up that hill
rubberband girl (extended)                                   hounds of love
eat the music (madacascan remix)                        the big sky
moving
cloudbusting
the saxophone song                                                the
sensual world
the man with the child in his eyes                          this woman's work
wuthering heights (new vocal)                               december will be
magic again
symphony in blue                                                   un baiser
d'enfant
wow
experiment IV

   Running up that hill (12" mix)

   cloudbusting (Organon Remix)

     The cat.nr is SPCD-1402-1403 and it's rumoured to be limited to 500 copies.

                                    Emmy.

"Butterflies don't belong in nets" - Tori Amos
Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@donald.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

------------------------------

From: R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 17:01 +1200
Subject: of Marmalade, Vegemite and Marmite
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

     Who would have thought Kate could kick up such a storm about these?

     Vegemite(TM) is a yeast extract made by Kraft Foods. In New Zealand
     (and Australia I think?) it is a cultural icon, along with pavlova -
     the discovery of which our two countries still argue about.
     Marmite(TM) is also a yeast extract and is made by the Sanitarium
     Health Food Company (here at least). Marmite has a stronger flavour
     than Vegemite, hence Vegemite is favoured for smearing thickly on
     fresh bread and butter. Because of its stronger flavour, Marmite is
     favoured as a stock (gravy flavouring). It is not a gravy substitute
     as such, but because both Marmite and Vegemite have a 'meaty-ish'
     taste you can put some into your gravy to give it a richer flavour.
     Both products are popular with health freaks because they're
     jam-packed with B-group vitamins (esp Niacin and Riboflavin). A yummy
     way to eat Vegemite is to split a weetbix (weetabix in the UK), butter
     it and put Vegemite on top. Of course the thought of smearing yeast
     extract on bread may disgust some people. Then again I understand that
     some cultures actually use peanut butter mixed with jelly ....blarg!

     I doubt that anyone in their right mind would try to make gravy out of
     marmalade unless they were looking for a sweet&sour sauce substitute.
     Marmalade is a type of jam (as opposed to 'jelly', which in NZ is a
     clear (strained) product) 'Jam' still has the seeds and/or rind in
     it). Traditional marmalade is slightly bitter and is made mostly from
     lemons and oranges and their rinds which crystallise in the jam (like
     the crystalized fruit people put in fruit cakes). Nowadays you can
     also get lemon and orange only marmalades, of various sweetnesses,
     ginger and lime marmalades too. For those who like bitter things for
     breakfast (eg coffee and grapefruits) I recommend you try bitter
     marmalade on toast.

     By the way, as John Lennon correctly pointed out the sky is also made
     of marmalade;-).

     Who sang "toast and marmalade for tea, sailing ships upon the sea"?
     Who remembers the 70's band 'The Marmalade'? What were their hits?

     Can't wait to get my Kateopia!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 15:52:06 -0600 (CST)
From: kerry white <zzkwhite@ktwu.wuacc.edu>
To: love-hounds <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: re: SPAM magazine

  Hello, I spend 2/3 my time here lurking.  I certainly hope that I
*do not* receive _another_ 200000 word treatise on spammmmmmm.  If
"conscripted" I will un-subscribe and " head for Canada until the war is
over"  8->
                                    KrW
                          Time flies like the wind
                         Fruit flies like the banana

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: jws5@Lehigh.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Marmitetology Mix
Date: 29 Oct 1995 19:18:40 -0500

kln@a.crl.com writes:

>Yummy yummy yummy yum
>Yummy yummy yummy
>Yummy yummy yummy yum

Or better yet:

    Yum, yum, yum, yum,
    Yum, yum, honey,
    Yum from the sounds of pubs.

sol  |  Maybe not.
--

justin sol                                                          los nitsuj
jws5@lehigh.edu      the world is not coming to an end...      ude.hgihel@5swj

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 22:02:08 -0600 (CST)
From: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Subject: Heather Nova
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Hi gang -

    I'm sitting here listening to Heather Nova's "Oyster" which I just
picked up today after reading about it here.  It doesn't sound a lot like
Kate, but it is quite good.  Sort of like Sarah McLachlan with loud
electric guitars.  Anybody know anything about Heather?  I had never heard
of her until seeing her mentioned here.

    It's definitely more guitar oriented than Kate or Sarah's stuff.  I like
what I've heard so far.

John                 jdwalker@post.smu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 23:03:17 -0600
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Subject: HOTFP BLUPUS
Cc: mpesce@netcom.com, jeffs@ncgate.newcollege.edu

What is the HOTFP?

The HOTFP is a project to build VRML or
3D worlds on the World Wide Web that
link together creations centered around the
person and work of Kate Bush.  Each world
should reflect something of her, and something
of its creator's vision of her, her work and more
importantly, of the creator of the world.

That is art at its best:  the self and the other.
To learn what we are by what we imagine.
To become more human by making of imagination
what we wish to be.  To join others in Making,
and become more than we are.  Humans.

Why?

For our pleasure.  To teach others about Kate.
To explore our desires and in so doing,
kiss the cheek of the sleeping princess, which is
our imagination that when awakened, fires our
souls to grow about the center of the world.

How?

By learning from each other.  By doing.

Unlike the T-shirt project, there is no stop,
start or final product that determines success.
This makes it much easier to succeed.
Like homepages, you can build worlds alone
or in teams.  You choose.  When you are ready,
you can email this list, and the rest of us
can link to you.   This is known as "encapsulation".
It is vital to avoiding singularities, the black holes
of human effort that freeze you like an Argonaut
before the Gorgon:  too many snakes; not enough
arrows.  It is only difficult if you try to slay them all at
once. You become stone because there are too
many choices.  By reflection, find the arrow's destiny.

I will point you to the resources you need.  You
must decide what to make of them.  Take your
time.  Enjoy it.  You do not have to become
the creature in the mirror.  Sing for your heart.

Who Am I?

Len Bullard:  musician, father and husband,
systems analyst and defense contractor.
If you have problems with that last bit, I can
only say this on the subject and I will not
debate it or repeat it.

Our society sends 18 year old children to war.

This is bad.  We must stop it.

When we cannot stop it, we must try to provide
them what will enable them to return alive,
else we turn away from our beloved ones.

War is wrong.  To turn away is also wrong.

I realize Kate would disapprove of me for this.
That is why hers are eyes I shall not see in this life,
for that disapproval would shatter me like a hammer to
a glass.  Yet, for memories of faces that remain
when souls have departed, for my son or daughter
who might some terrible day be asked to go,
I cannot turn away.  Selah.

Forgive me, Beloved Teacher.  Your way cannot be mine.

How to Proceed?

Because it is unfair to crowd the noospace of
others with things which are not to their tastes,
HOTFP posts will have subject headers that
allow you to filter them.  Posts on this subject will
always have the same major or dominant subject
morph:  HOTFP

o  HOTFP - House of the Future Project

These may be followed by a minor or subdominant
topic morph.  I will explain these as needed.  The one
above is BLUPUS (read, Blue Puss. Long story.).

o  BLUPUS - By Little Understandings, Proceed Until Satisfied.
                     ^   ^       ^                       ^            ^       ^

In the HOTFP, BLUPUS is the pedagogy, or lesson strategy,
It means "little lessons" that when understood, impart
a technique which can be added to your bag of techniques.
Used together, they enable you to create something.
Musicians sometimes refer to these collectively as "chops".

To learn to build worlds, we can do as Kate does in
the studio:  little experiments.  Each experiment
results in a thingie which we might or might not
use in building a world.  It is easy to build a world,
but it is more difficult to know when it is done, when
to rest.  So, the last bit:  Proceed Until Satisfied.  As Kate
herself often demonstrates, she is the boss, she
is the creator.  She chooses.  So should you.
When you are satisfied, stop.

Most artists work something like that, but it is tedious
and takes a lot of time.  It takes as long as it takes.
Those who wonder what Kate does between albums
will probably discover she spends a lot of time
doing little experiments and studying.  This is how
one acquires chops.

I am also taught.  Some very fine individuals in
the VRML community are teaching me and others
and to repay my debt, to help further their
dream, a dream of a Garden,  I will help you learn as well.
VRML was created for efforts exactly such as this.
It is the good we do for one another.

Each teacher brought something to Kate's chops:
techniques, ideas, visions, emotions, symbols,
all of this and more.  Because acquiring VRML
chops is how we learn to make worlds for the
HOTFP, VRML will be the ball.  To those
who are interested, I will be rolling the ball to you!

Enough rant.  Tomorrow, a real example and
some addresses of where you can get free
browsers, objects, and some books you might want.

Until the Future.

len

"We're building a house of the future together.
What would we do without you."

Love and Anger - Kate Bush

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: ptapola@frodo.ntc.nokia.com (Pertti Tapola)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Are you kidding?
Date: 30 Oct 1995 07:43:51 GMT

In article <199510261814.AA29586@A.crl.com>, kln@a.crl.com writes:
|> What I want to know is what kind of glue everyone is sniffing in Finland.
|>
|> ;)

	Hello earth!

I don't need any kind of chemical substances.

Just being rolled over by the Ninth Wave suffices. :-)

During the first listenings I was really afraid of
waking the witch. :-/

But as I like surreal paintings, I finally stopped being
afraid and just entered it.

Ooh, its so wonderful watching you without me!
And in the morning fog I dream of sheep under ice. :-)

I pity those that dare not experience this jig of life.

But I can understand it as it requires a firm sense of reality
not to get lost there completely.  ;-)

Pertti Tapola        pertti.tapola@ntc.nokia.com (in Finland, by the way)

     What cannot be talked about begs for inventing an expression.

------------------------------

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 00:45:17 +0100
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: things I found in the US which I would've bought if I didn't have'em
	already

Hi!

during my recent holiday I found some things some people might have searched
for quite a while:

- 2 copies of
  "A Visual Documentary"
  and 2 copies of
  "Secret History of Kate Bush (And The Strange Art Of Pop)",
  both in Tower Records in New Orleans (next to Hard Rock Cafe)
- another copy of the MiniDiscs for The Sensual World and The Red Shoes,
  as well as a Japanese boxed set ($195),
  all in HMV in Washington DC (Georgetown)

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]

------------------------------

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 01:08:59 +0100
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Hello, Earth

Hi!

Chris said about Kate and Marmite:
>     Yes, she did spend 6 months in Australia when she was very
> young. But six months is not generally considered enough time
> for a non-native to develop a tolerance to substances scraped
> from the bottom of beer brewing vats.

;-)

Which reminds me of a question nagging in my head for a long, long,
long time (gee - there's a question the FAQ-keeper can't answer! 8-O ):

Did they go to Oz (and back) by plane or by ship?

Ship would have needed QUITE a bit of time for just half a year.

Bye,

Uli

--

To: rec-music-gaffa@pipex.net
From: overfieldc@logica.co.uk (Chris Overfield)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Rubber-fan girl?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 08:15:48 GMT

I went to the cinema last night to see Species and there was an ad trailer
for Durex.  I coulda sworn the voice singing in the background was Kate's.

Anyone know?

Chris
"Opinions are mine and not those of my employer"

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Hitchcock
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 02:07:17 -0800

On Sat, 28 Oct 1995 LsliHaliwl@aol.com wrote:

> Stormin' Norman writes:
>
>> Whoops!  I meant Rebecca.  Not Now Voyager!  Sorry about
>> that.  It was Alfred Hitchcock's first movie and I can
>> definitely see Miranda playing the evil servant very well.
>
> "Rebecca" was Hitchcock's twenty-fifth movie.

I think that the first was =The Lodger=, based upon a roommate that
I once had. (Very messy business, that.  Cooked in the room, and
you'll never guess =what= he cooked!)

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: spam filter
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 02:28:18 -0800

On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, P. Dale Campbell wrote:

> rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu (Goddess in Training) writes:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan wrote:
>>>
>>> Oops!  Sorry!  Sorry for two reasons.  First, =you= were not
>>> originally supposed to be getting =any= of the spam.  The program
>>> used a hash-value such that your ID and that of Stev0, had the same
>>> hash value.   [... snip]
>>
>> Look, it's useless to have me be the one watching for spam, since
>  [... snip]
>
> Okay, okay, enough already.  Where are the smiley's?

The Smileys have divorced.  She was carrying on with an agent of
the KGB, or somesuch.  In any event, considering that the core topic
is Spam, the dialogue calls for Mr Yuck.

>                                                       "What's all this,
> then?"

That is a deep philosophical question.  Bring an electric torch with
you.

>         Who is Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan?

This is a somewhat shallower philosophical question.  Bring a shovel
with you.

>                                         Has he assumed the humble
> pseudo-moderator-hood from Bill Wisner?

Mr Wisner is =not= a hood, a thug, nor a sharpie.  He is, however,
rumored to have connections with unsavory elements of the Tibetan
Freemasons.

>                                          Is this, like, tag-team
> wrestling?

No.  A more apt metaphor would be stochastic palimpsest evasion.

> I've got some ideas about moderation...more later, maybe.

Okay.  But keep it in ASCII.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>

End of Love-Hounds Digest #11.277