Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HOTFP BLUPUS

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 23:03:17 -0600
Subject: HOTFP BLUPUS
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: mpesce@netcom.com, jeffs@ncgate.newcollege.edu

What is the HOTFP?

The HOTFP is a project to build VRML or
3D worlds on the World Wide Web that
link together creations centered around the
person and work of Kate Bush.  Each world
should reflect something of her, and something
of its creator's vision of her, her work and more
importantly, of the creator of the world.

That is art at its best:  the self and the other.
To learn what we are by what we imagine.
To become more human by making of imagination
what we wish to be.  To join others in Making,
and become more than we are.  Humans.

Why?

For our pleasure.  To teach others about Kate.
To explore our desires and in so doing,
kiss the cheek of the sleeping princess, which is
our imagination that when awakened, fires our
souls to grow about the center of the world.

How?

By learning from each other.  By doing.

Unlike the T-shirt project, there is no stop,
start or final product that determines success.
This makes it much easier to succeed.
Like homepages, you can build worlds alone
or in teams.  You choose.  When you are ready,
you can email this list, and the rest of us
can link to you.   This is known as "encapsulation".
It is vital to avoiding singularities, the black holes
of human effort that freeze you like an Argonaut
before the Gorgon:  too many snakes; not enough
arrows.  It is only difficult if you try to slay them all at
once. You become stone because there are too
many choices.  By reflection, find the arrow's destiny.

I will point you to the resources you need.  You
must decide what to make of them.  Take your
time.  Enjoy it.  You do not have to become
the creature in the mirror.  Sing for your heart.

Who Am I?

Len Bullard:  musician, father and husband,
systems analyst and defense contractor.
If you have problems with that last bit, I can
only say this on the subject and I will not
debate it or repeat it.

Our society sends 18 year old children to war.

This is bad.  We must stop it.

When we cannot stop it, we must try to provide
them what will enable them to return alive,
else we turn away from our beloved ones.

War is wrong.  To turn away is also wrong.

I realize Kate would disapprove of me for this.
That is why hers are eyes I shall not see in this life,
for that disapproval would shatter me like a hammer to
a glass.  Yet, for memories of faces that remain
when souls have departed, for my son or daughter
who might some terrible day be asked to go,
I cannot turn away.  Selah.

Forgive me, Beloved Teacher.  Your way cannot be mine.

How to Proceed?

Because it is unfair to crowd the noospace of
others with things which are not to their tastes,
HOTFP posts will have subject headers that
allow you to filter them.  Posts on this subject will
always have the same major or dominant subject
morph:  HOTFP

o  HOTFP - House of the Future Project

These may be followed by a minor or subdominant
topic morph.  I will explain these as needed.  The one
above is BLUPUS (read, Blue Puss. Long story.).

o  BLUPUS - By Little Understandings, Proceed Until Satisfied.
                     ^   ^       ^                       ^            ^       ^

In the HOTFP, BLUPUS is the pedagogy, or lesson strategy,
It means "little lessons" that when understood, impart
a technique which can be added to your bag of techniques.
Used together, they enable you to create something.
Musicians sometimes refer to these collectively as "chops".

To learn to build worlds, we can do as Kate does in
the studio:  little experiments.  Each experiment
results in a thingie which we might or might not
use in building a world.  It is easy to build a world,
but it is more difficult to know when it is done, when
to rest.  So, the last bit:  Proceed Until Satisfied.  As Kate
herself often demonstrates, she is the boss, she
is the creator.  She chooses.  So should you.
When you are satisfied, stop.

Most artists work something like that, but it is tedious
and takes a lot of time.  It takes as long as it takes.
Those who wonder what Kate does between albums
will probably discover she spends a lot of time
doing little experiments and studying.  This is how
one acquires chops.

I am also taught.  Some very fine individuals in
the VRML community are teaching me and others
and to repay my debt, to help further their
dream, a dream of a Garden,  I will help you learn as well.
VRML was created for efforts exactly such as this.
It is the good we do for one another.

Each teacher brought something to Kate's chops:
techniques, ideas, visions, emotions, symbols,
all of this and more.  Because acquiring VRML
chops is how we learn to make worlds for the
HOTFP, VRML will be the ball.  To those
who are interested, I will be rolling the ball to you!

Enough rant.  Tomorrow, a real example and
some addresses of where you can get free
browsers, objects, and some books you might want.

Until the Future.

len

"We're building a house of the future together.
What would we do without you."

Love and Anger - Kate Bush