Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What's best for Kate

From: Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 02:07:26 -0500
Subject: Re: What's best for Kate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <971019143752_-1671990040@emout11.mail.aol.com>,
ANGLTRED@aol.com wrote:
><< If you're reading, Kate, c'mon, do it now. Forget about a new album.
><< This would be so much better for you and for all of us.
>
>Steve--
>As much as we'd all love to see Kate tour, it's obvious that these lines are
>written out of your own self-interest.  Do you really think you know what's
>best for Kate?  I think Kate would be the best judge of that....and she's
>probably doing exactly what she believes is best for her creativity, her
>well-being, her sanity and her all-around happiness.

   Would you concede the possibility that Kate's doing what's in the best
interest of her own *fear*? Kate revolutionized the rock tour with a single
tour. (You have to see the "Tour of Life" in context.)

   She has *promised* us a tour several times. She has *planned* tours,
including contacting US venues. She bought equipment for a tour; two
additional Fairlights. She contacted Lindsey Kemp and asked him if he
was free to tour. She was working with Jim Henson's Creature Shop on
*something* for a tour.

   We have a bit of evidence that she has wanted to tour. IMO, reasons
she has not toured:

  She hasn't been willing to delegate any responsibility. She planned
the tour with family and friends. Things are different now. She'll never
get a tour off the ground without the assistance of a proper touring
company.

   The belief that she'll have to "top" the Tour of Life. This simply
is not economically possible. In the age of corporate-sponsored mega-
tours like U2 and the Stones, she cannot compete on flash.

   Kate is used to the world she is in. She has complete control in
the studio. Everything is as perfect as she wants to make it. But
on the stage she is dependent on other people. She can never have
that level of control. But if she did tour, she'd discover all the
joys of playing before a live audience...of directly connecting with
people. Of discovering new elements of her music by letting her
players stretch out.

   And no, when it comes right down to it, I *don't* think it's unreasonable
for me to want to see my favorite musician in concert one fucking time
before I die. OK?

   Our good friend, room-mate and fellow Kate fan Tim Hathcock died
before *he* could ever see Kate in concert. I'd like to avoid that if
I could.

>As always, take my opinion with a grain of salt...
>~~~Sam

   I'm not jumping on you. I'm just taking an opportunity to express my
frustration.

   I agree that it would be in Kate's best interest to tour - if only
for her relationship with her US record company. I'm not sure how long
Sony will be willing to support her with the minimal support *she*
gives her records. A small handful of close-mouthed interviews, rare
TV appearances, a "US visit" limited to NYC...these are not things
that endear one to a record company.