Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hol Remastered???

From: Rolf.Peukert@theoinf.tu-ilmenau.de (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 97 14:16:08 +0200
Subject: Re: Hol Remastered???
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Peter Chow wrote:
> [...] Does this merely mean remastered as in
> the disk being re-done with the bonus tracks or has the album itself been
> 'treated' in some way.

They did as much as they could. The remastered HoL is approx. 3 db louder
than the old one, making better use of the CDs dynamic range. I think
they also extended the frequency range a bit.
The bonus tracks also have significantly less tape hiss/background noise
than their earlier CD incarnations. This doesn't apply to the original
HoL tracks, at least not in that dimension.

I wish they could convince Kate to give them her multitrack master
tapes and let them do a real re-mix. Compared to the _single_ mix
of The Big Sky, the album version still sounds 'muddy' somehow.

> The original release was analogue mastered and the
> first re-release introduced the digitally remastered version. Has it be
> re-remastered?

I'm not sure what you mean with "first re-release". CDs have to be
digitally mastered per definition.
Some HoL CDs are marked "ADD". This would meant it's digitally mixed,
which AFAIK is not true. And I can't hear a difference in sound between
the first CD release of HoL ("made in Japan", bought in Germany in 1985)
and a newer British pressing (from the TWW box).

While I'm at it: Don and Peter D. F.-M. (in the new issue of Homeground)
complained about the EMI100 booklet saying something like "EMI's most
important artists were Kate Bush and Sheena Easton". I didn't find any
mention of Sheena Easton in the booklet, and the sentence in question
(on the 'Kate' page, bottom) reads "the most important female artist during
that period was Kate Bush." (<- right now I'm writing this from memory,
so it might be not literal, but I'm sure there's no Sheena Easton!).
Are there different EMI100 booklets?

Another question: In the title of the "MeTeorological Mix" (or, as EMI
folks still spell it, "MeTeorogical Mix" :-) of TBS, the 'T' character
looks something like this:
-----
  |\
  | \|
    -
Is there any meaning behind this, maybe in meteorology?

ciao,
Rolf