Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate & Touring

From: pdc@acorn.net (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:23:00 -0400
Subject: Kate & Touring
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

For awhile, I got away from working through the Love-Hound archives,
but I'm back to it and just ran across this, courtesy of our own
invaluable IED:

> From @EDDIE.MIT.EDU,@mitvma.mit.edu:IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU  Tue Apr  3 18:06:40 1990
> Date:    Tue, 03 Apr 90 11:44 PDT
> From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
> Subject: Another Kate Bush interview
>

>  To: Love-Hounds
>  From: Andrew Marvick
>  Subject: Another Kate Bush interview
>
>      <Here is part of a U.S. radio interview from December 1989.
> I do not know the origin of this interview. It was published in the
> maiden issue of a new American fanzine called _Reaching_Out_,
> without specific identification. The interview is prefaced by a
> brief history of Kate's career. Edited by Andrew Marvick
> from a transcription by Cynthia Kiley.>

   [snip]

>      Why have you not toured in so long?
>      "The problem is that since the last tour I've been
> wrapped up in making albums, and trying to keep control of what I
> do. I get so involved in what I do, it's an exhausting, long
> process for me, and really with the albums taking so long over the
> last few years, I don't think I've had space in myself to
> tour. I really enjoyed the last tour--people think I didn't and
> that's why I haven't toured--but it't really more that
> I get so wrapped up in all the projects I do. I don't feel I've
> wanted to do it enough...I don't think I would have done it well
> and maybe that's what I can say. I'm sorry...I don't
> want to starve people with contact. It's just doing what I
> do well is _so_important_ to
> me. I've got to try and do the best I can with everything."
>      Do you think not touring has held your career back in the U.S.?
>      "Well, I think it's very possible, plus I think there
> have been so many other inaccessible areas to me here as an artist.
> I guess my last record company found it difficult to express me
> as an artist to the public, and my second and third albums were
> received here at a later date <1983-1984>. I think people
> must have quite a confusing image of me. In a way this is something
> I have to not worry about too much, um...because that's not
> really my responsibility. My responsibilities are the artistic,
> where I have to make the best record I can at the time, and I
> have to let people know it's out there. But all _those_ areas
> kind of are out of my control."
>      Could you say a few words about the first tour?
>      "Terribly overly ambitious--that's a trait of mine.
> I am terribly over-ambitious with things I try to do. It's
> quite scary trying to deal with such big things.
>      "I think it would be unfair on everyone if I did a tour
> and didn't really want to...I'm not really going to exude
> joy and happiness. It's difficult for me, obviously. I hate
> the thought of a lot of people wanting me to tour and I not.
> It's frustrating for them not to have contact with me as an
> artist, but there are records and videos. This <radio interview>
> is great, because this is direct contact. They can hear I'm
> being asked questions and me replying. It's great, but in
> a way doing interviews for the press is all such a removed process.
> But all I can say is that I think it would be wrong for me to tour
> if I wasn't 100% happy about doing it and thought I could
> do something special. I just think everyone would be unhappy."
>
> -- Andrew Marvick

"It is this that                      pDaleCampbell
 brings us together              .    pdc@acorn.net
KT - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - KT