Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Daria

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:53:37 -0800
Subject: Re: Kate and Daria
To: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Cc: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>, Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

At 9:56 PM -0800 6-10-97, Richard Bensam wrote:

<snip>

>>>Would Daria Morgendorfer like Kate Bush?  Probably not.
>>
>>I would think not, but only because of the generation gap. I think a 1978
>>DM would have been much more likely to be into KB.
>
>Frankly, I believe Daria in any era would find Kate way too upbeat and
>"girly."  The sort of thing they'd listen to at the Lawndale cybercafe
>while feeling all sensitive and connected to the global neighborhood, you
>know?

Now that I think about it, I don't think Daria likes music at all. In fact,
I doubt that she likes much of anything beyond "Sad, Sick World". Now, her
sidekick Jane Lane is much more likely to be hip to cool music and could be
a closet KB fan.

>>Who wouldn't like Daria? She's the greatest.
>
>A common bond between us!
>
>>It wouldn't hurt Kate to tear out some of that
>>insulation and interact with someone who would really make a
>>difference....I'd bet Daria would approve of that!
>
>Daria won't let her mother redecorate her bedroom because she *likes*
>having padded walls.  Daria clearly believes in a certain amount of
>protective insulation.  I don't think Daria would approve of interacting
>with someone who would really make a difference.  As in the quote you
>thoughtfully provided below:
>
>>"Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem. It's a mistake. I have low
>>esteem for everyone else." - Daria Morgendorfer of "Daria" in "Esteemers"

You're absolutely right.

Now, if we can just get KB to cover "You're Standing On My Neck".

"Na-na-na-na-na."

- Don