Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Moments of Pleasure" single cover

From: dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 17:05:36 -0500
Subject: Re: "Moments of Pleasure" single cover

Douglas Alan (nessus@mit.edu) wrote:
: In article <2fq7rk$7n7@pandora.sdsu.edu> dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu
: (Derek Langsford) writes:

: >   Meredith, you are not alone.  I mentioned this in a post several
: >   weeks ago because it was terribly poignant, my wife and I just
: >   having scattered the ashes of our baby boy who died on 13th Nov.
: >   I am not sure what this image has to do with the sentiment of the
: >   song.  It is rather contrary to what I feel when I hear the song.
: >   Is Kate just being bizarre?

: It is the practice of some to celebrate upon the death of a loved one,
: rather than to mourn.  I.e. to celebrate the accomplishments, lasting
: affects, and memories that that loved one will leave behind.  I think
: that Kate is getting at this in both the song and the cover picture,
: which both combine imagery of anguish and happiness.

Even though I am particularly sensitized at the moment, the picture
to me is of Kate *enjoying* dancing on burning skeletons, and like
dancing on someone's grave, is an expression of disrespect.  Celebrations
of someone's passing or wakes usually involve a group of people and does not
take place at the graveside.  Maybe I'm being too literal but IMO the image
does not bring wakes or celebrating dead one's lives to mind.  For me
it does not evoke the sentiments of the song and thus seems bizarre.

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University