Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lily

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1993 02:49:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Lily
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

> >>Well I am.  I don't know who Alistair Crowley is, much less the
> >>details of the ritual.  If someone else is also interested then let us
> >>know since there's little point in continuing if I'm the only one.
> >
> >I'm interested, especially if there's a fairly succinct way to explain. i.e.
> >not turn it into a huge thread on here.  I think when most people hear (myself
> >included) about a pentagram ritual, they immediately think "devil
>    Actually, some of us, whenever the words "Alistair Crowley" or
> or "pentagram ritual" are mentioned, think; "What are these people
> babbling on about."

That's exactly what I thought, and so I've asked what it is they are
babbling on about, especially since Kate is one of those singing
about it.

> Let's just say that Kate believes in some silly
> things. Please take it to e-mail, until you can find some specific
> Kate content, beyond the fact that it was mentioned in the song.

Well I can't judge if it's silly or not since I don't know anything
about it.  The entire song seems to be about the ritual and it's
probably relevant to the entire album and the film as well.  I think
that's sufficient "Kate content".  Without knowing what it is I can't
interpret the album as well and I certainly can't talk about the
ritual's "Kate content".  I thought I might not be the only one
unfamliar with the ritual who would benefit from a description of it
and was trying to find out if this was true, which it seems to be.
There seems to be at least four of us who have admitted we don't know
or recall the ritual.

>    I'd like to see some specific analysis of the structure of the song,
> the relationship of the the parts of the ritual to the angels mentioned
> or anything at all, more than simply discussing the *fact* that the
> ritual is in the song.

Yes, me too.  That is why I wanted a description of the ritual: to
progress the discussion to talking about what the ritual means within
the song and the rest of the album.  Even more importantly, to let me
form my *own* opinions and be able to understand what others are
saying about it's relevance.  First things first: understanding the
ritual and then understanding it's role in the album.
---
AlexGibbs arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu |\| | (~, |-| ~|~ |-| /-\ \/\/ |<
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
 foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." <Douglas Adams
"Without the pain there'd be no learning.              \ / Constellation of the
 Without the hurting we'd never change."               / \  Heart  <Kate Bush>
"Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing? Mmm, do   \   Why Should I
 you think He had a beautiful smile?  A smile that healed."  \  Love You?