Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of Pleasure - first impressions

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 02:00 CDT
Subject: Re: Moments of Pleasure - first impressions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <C937HB.3CJ@news.cso.uiuc.edu> you write:
>chris williams writes:
>
>>   Well ... yeah. The Kate you are used to hearing is available
>>on CD.
>
>Actually, all the comments I've made on this song are based on the
>stuff in the song, not the recording media or fidelity.  I heard the
>music and words just fine, I feel that it is not Kate Bush's best
>work.

   I disagree. You heard a very low-fi sample of a song by an artist
renouned for the texture and layering of her work. You did not truely
hear the song, and neither did I.

>>   It's the spirtual heir to "Under The Ivy" and "Reaching Out." If
>>you hate those two songs, do everyone a favor and don't download the
>>sound file.
>
>It's my comments on that song.  If you don't like what I'm posting,
>stop reading it.

    And how long have you been posting, that I should avoid reading your
infrequent posts?

>>   I don't know about anyone else, but the lyrics are not trite at all.
>
>By your opinion (and perhaps those of others) yes, but they may come
>off as trite to other people.  That doesn't make your opinion any more
>or less valid than anyone elses.

    If I may ask, what was the first Kate album you heard? I'd suspect
that it was _Hounds of Love_, _The Sensual World_ or (maybe) _The
Dreaming_, and (theorizing further) your opinions and expectations of
Kate's work are based your first exposure. I've found that the people
who first heard Kate during her first three albums tend to like a
greater proportion of her work than those who first heard her three
later albums.

    Neither is inherently better, but if you first heard Kate when
_The Kick Inside_ was released, loving her unique blend of naivete
and worldliness, your approach to her "simpler" piano-based songs
might be different.

    No one I have played the sample for has expressed the opinion you
have.

    Re the validity of my opinion, I'll not bore gaffa with my history,
suffice to say I've been a fan since seeing her on Saturday Night Live.
Vickie and I have promoted Kate in various ways and garnered her
approving attention. We've done creative work that she's written and
called to thank us for. So yes, I have a right to my opinion. And,
at risk of sounding like and "old fart" it may well be more valid than
your's.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)