Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of Pleasure - first impressions

From: jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 10:40:54 PDT
Subject: Re: Moments of Pleasure - first impressions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris Williams splutters:
>   I disagree. You heard a very low-fi sample of a song by an artist
>renouned for the texture and layering of her work. You did not truely
>hear the song, and neither did I.

get lost, chris... if the guy had said "it was brilliant" you wouldn't
be saying "hold off until you hear the CD version."  your biases are
all too obvious.  what if I were to say, "i haven't even heard the 8
bit sample over a phone but i still think it's a great song just
because it's kate?"  you'd say "an eminently sensible position" and
i'd have to go puke.

>>It's my comments on that song.  If you don't like what I'm posting,
>>stop reading it.

>    And how long have you been posting, that I should avoid reading your
>infrequent posts?

what does duration of love-hounds membership have to do with anything?
you are not "more entitled" to post due to age or anything like that.
wake up and smell the anarchy, williams.

>    Neither is inherently better, but if you first heard Kate when
>_The Kick Inside_ was released, loving her unique blend of naivete
>and worldliness, your approach to her "simpler" piano-based songs
>might be different.

this is presumptuous arrogance, plain and simple.  i heard The Great
One's records in a very eccentric order (and, no, The Dreaming was NOT
my first KT LP) and i formed my own opinions.  i take the songs as
they come, one at a time.

>    Re the validity of my opinion, I'll not bore gaffa with my history,

well that's a relief.  but wait!  what's this?....

>suffice to say I've been a fan since seeing her on Saturday Night Live.
>Vickie and I have promoted Kate in various ways and garnered her
>approving attention. We've done creative work that she's written and
>called to thank us for. So yes, I have a right to my opinion. And,
>at risk of sounding like and "old fart" it may well be more valid than
>your's.

blah blah blah i'm a better fan than you are so nyah.  i bet it REALLY
bugs you that i was on gaffa before you were.  it's just so sickening
(and juvenile), chris.  why can't you accept the fact that there are
some people who just won't unconditionally love every song kate's ever
done?  this doesn't make us "worse" fans, whatever THAT could possibly
mean.

why do i suspect that you have a little board with all gaffans names
and little black marks for every critical comment they make about Our
Lady Of Perpetual Kateness?  why do i further suspect that you think
that's a GOOD IDEA...?

until you accept that all opinions are equally valid, i will continue
to attack you in public.  so get used to it, pink boy.

(an aside to long time l-h readers: the new album isn't even out yet
and already we've got a major imbroglio brewing... doesn't it just
warm the cockles of your heart???  *mmmm* warm and soothing, indeed.)

Jon Drukman                                      jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.--