Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of Pleasure - first impressions

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 03:02 CDT
Subject: Re: Moments of Pleasure - first impressions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>I just listened to the entire song "Moments of Pleasure" as recorded
>on the larger sample (thanks to all that made that sample).

   ...at a very low fidelity, 8khz about the same as a telephone.
(Note that I'm not knocking the makers of the sample; they were
constrained by the need to limit the size of the file)

>To me it sounds very much unlike the Kate Bush I'm used to hearing,

   Well ... yeah. The Kate you are used to hearing is available
on CD.

>the Kate Bush music that told elaborate (and for me, not entirely
>understandable) stories.  To me, it sounds like she's doing music that
>will get used in a movie (tons of strings & piano chords that say
>[even without the lyrics at all], to me, "I'm being touching here,
>trying to tug at your heartstrings").  I was disappointed in this
>because by my ears there was nothing unique that said, this is Kate
>Bush (as opposed to any other artist).  It sounded like any singer
>could have sung those words or used that melody in another
>oh-so-touching song.

   It's the spirtual heir to "Under The Ivy" and "Reaching Out." If
you hate those two songs, do everyone a favor and don't download the
sound file.

   It's not fair to judge a song based on a monophonic, limited to
music-on-hold fidelity sample.

   I don't know about anyone else, but the lyrics are not trite at all.
We're pretty knowledgeable about Kate's life, but many of the lyrics
are as obscure as any she has written, full of extreamely personal
writing about friends she has lost, remembering their love while still
feeling the pain of their passing. A lot of it is about her Mother,
Hanna who died just over a year ago, in the middle of Kate's work on
this album.

>Given this sample of the upcoming release, I'll listen to someone
>else's copy of this CD first rather then just buying the album right
>off (as I've done with a number of her previous CDs).

   Fine.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)