Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: sTuff

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: 9 Dec 1992 18:33:36 -0800
Subject: Re: sTuff
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

[Rather childish flaming that I'm rather proud of deleted]

>>The Dreaming.  ALL the songs (except the title cut) are about fairly
>>disturbed people, someone with some serious problem.
>
>you call this a THEME?  this is so generic as to be utterly useless.  and
>it's wrong too.  what's bess' problem in "houdini"?  can't talk to her dead
>husband?  damn, that's a bummer.
>
>i mean, you might as well say "all the songs are about people doing
>things."  geez...

OK, "The Dreaming" doesn't have a theme in the way The Who's "Tommy"
does, but I never said it did.  Yet it works as a cohesive whole; If
"The Ninth Wave" is a novella, TD is a collection of short stories that
all pretty much have the same "Look and Feel".  Take a good anthology
of short stories (Kurt Vonnegut's "Welcome to the Monkey House" or
Harlan Ellison's "Alone Against Tomorrow" spring to mind, but feel free
to use your own for this analogy).  Now, any story stands up well on
its own; none of the stories have even the slightest thing to do which
any of the other stories - yet they all build up a cohesive mood that
is pleasing and challenging and say something profound about our society
(ie, it sucks).  The Dreaming does this, too.  TSW doesn't.  (I know
no one said it does, but I'm just contrasting a thematic album (as opposed
to "concept album" - God, what a 70's idea!) with one that's just a
collection of very good to rather lame songs).

- Stev0 the English Lit. Groupie

"Next, we will compare and contrast Homer's _The Illiad_ with James
Joyce's _Ulysses_ with the title cut of _The Sensual World_"
		  - Prof. Stev0 of Miskatonic U.
--
 Steve Berlin         .   I +  * .o   o.* `.E. +.    "The more I think