Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Tori--What do you really think?

From: scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine)
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 92 21:21:04 -0500
Subject: re: Tori--What do you really think?
To: gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu

Ahhh! Flame! Flame! Flame! Flame! How dare you say you like Tori Amos
better than Kate Bush? You deviant! You twisted fiend!

Ahem. Sorry. I just didn't want you to think you posted to the wrong
mauling list. :-) (no, I didn't misspell that)

I subscribe to really-deep-thoughts, too, so I guess I'm not a pure
sample, but I have a very hard time saying who I like better. Ask me in
a dozen years. Seriously, Tori is a new kid on the block. Let's see if
her music has the staying power Kate's does. Let's see what Tori writes
after this -- she can't go on forever writing about girlhood angst. In
that respect, Kate has demonstrated more lyrical variety and
imagination. Kate is a novel. Tori is psychoanalysis.

Tori is a better pianist and no musical slouch, but I think Kate is
more musically sophisticated, if only by virtue of much greater
experience.

They both have good voices (please, Kate, show me yours isn't gone!). I
like Tori's voice better than Kate's TSW voice, but no better than her
TKI voice and TD, HOL voices. Speaking of those voices reminds me how
Kate has evolved. Tori will need to evolve, too, if she is to be more
than a flash-in-the-pan. Interviews she has given show that the thought
is on her mind. We shall see.

Just speaking for today, though: Tori's stuff touches a completely
different nerve with me than Kate's stuff I'd have to rate it
equivalent. I try not to analyse it too heavily.
---
scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us -- Stuart M. Castergine        ---
                I  still dream of Orgonon.                      |/
                                                                |\