Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sTuff

From: woj <REWOICC%ERENJ.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 92 13:46:05 EST
Subject: sTuff
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

***SEMPSY*** <cmh205%cck.coventry.ac.uk@ib.rl.ac.uk> sez:
>Every party has their
>fair share of extremists, not just the 'labor party' as woj implied.

i implied no such thing. my comment was a tongue-in-cheek remark aimed
at getting a laugh from those who needed no explanation that ken living-
stone was anything but leftist. it did not imply anything about whether
or not taxing royalty is extremist.

as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) sez:
>Tori Amos's "real" debut was Y Kant Tori Read, or some such drivel.

have you heard it? if not, don't decry it as drivel just cos tori says
it is drivel. i have heard it and agree that it is not spectacular or
tori's best work. it is not drivel though - it's just dismissable.

jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car) sez:
>is there a theme to The Dreaming?  i don't think so.  to my mind, it's as
>much a "mishmash of themes and styles" as all the other kate records
>(obviously excepting The 9th Wave which is a consistent piece).

let me reword what i said: _the sensual world_'s mishmash is a bit of a
surprise for those who were expecting something like _the ninth wave_.
you're right, but some people might have perceived  some preogression
towards concept or thematic albums after _hounds of love_ and _the ninth
wave_.

sure, _the dreaming_ isn't that thematic, but _the kick inside_ is fairly
preoccupied with love and sex and _never forever_ has its moments. not
all her albums are that way, but enough are - especially the most recent
one - that expectations were such.

woj