Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: sTuff

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: 5 Dec 1992 08:16:46 -0800
Subject: Re: sTuff
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

[Oh so much was deleted here]

In article <9212042150.AA14066@relay1.UU.NET> REWOICC%ERENJ.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU (woj) writes:
>jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car) sez:
>>is there a theme to The Dreaming?  i don't think so.  to my mind, it's as
>>much a "mishmash of themes and styles" as all the other kate records
>>(obviously excepting The 9th Wave which is a consistent piece).
>
>let me reword what i said: _the sensual world_'s mishmash is a bit of a
>surprise for those who were expecting something like _the ninth wave_.
>you're right, but some people might have perceived  some preogression
>towards concept or thematic albums after _hounds of love_ and _the ninth
>wave_.
>
>sure, _the dreaming_ isn't that thematic, but _the kick inside_ is fairly
>preoccupied with love and sex and _never forever_ has its moments. not
>all her albums are that way, but enough are - especially the most recent
>one - that expectations were such.

*sigh*, I was hoping someone else would say this who could say it better
than I (ie, without using phrases like "stupid rat bastard"), but no
one has, so here it goes:

Jon, you're such a stupid rat bastard.  Of COURSE all of Kate's albums have
themes (except TWS of course, and TSW).  TKI, as mentioned by Woj above,
is a collection of love songs.  While LH has no lyrical theme, almost all
the songs are "warm and soothing".  N4E, Is mostly about angst.  Especially
on side two (or, for those who are CD-dependent, from "Wedding List" on).
Ironically, the only song on here that ISN'T angst-ridden was inspired by
the death of a friend of Kate's.

The Dreaming.  ALL the songs (except the title cut) are about fairly
disturbed people, someone with some serious problem.  You could expand
each song, writing a novel about the title character (or, in this
post-Mteevee society, make a film).  Each character is THAT well-defined
(except for maybe "All the Love", which is probably my least favorite
song on the album).  As for the title cut, it would still make a great
documentry.

The 9th Wave is obvious, and some folks say the HoL half of HoL is
all about Kate's family and friends.  Personally, I think it's a
collection of mish-mash, and except for two stunning cuts (Big
Sky and Cloudbusting, not coincidently Kate's two best videos),
a rather weak effort for it.

Some might argue that TSW is also about people ala TD, but they'ld be
wrong.  You couldn't get more than a 4-panel comic strip out of how
most of the characters are developed (except for Heads Were Dancing,
which I always thought seemed like a lame episode of The Twilght Zone).

- Stev0 the well-defined

"Hahahaha" - that enigmatic little laugh at the beginning of The Fog

--
Steve Berlin    .     +I * .o   o.* ` `B +.   |"I just know that something
stev0@sti.com  ' K *  . ' ' |\^/|  `. * .O *  |good is gonna happen!"