Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Kate Flying Quotes ****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 92 01:04:27 PST
Subject: *** Kate Flying Quotes ****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        SHE RECENTLY TOOK HER FIRST AIRBORNE FLIGHT TO GERMANY FOR A
TELEVISION APPEARANCE, AS THE SINGLE, APPARENTLY, HAS BEEN CHOSEN AS
WHATEVER THE GERMAN EQUIVALENT OF "PICK-OF-THE-WEEK" MIGHT BE.
        It was mind-boggling, SHE SAID EUPHORICALLY, IN REFERENCE TO
FLYING.  I really want to do more of that...  WONDER HOW SHE'LL FEEL
ABOUT IT IN TWO YEARS TIME.   (1978, The Blossoming Ms. Bush)

        I think people have got the impression that I am carried on to
a plane screaming, at the moment, and have to be knocked out so that I
can cope with the journey.  I don't like flying, but it's really not
that bad, and I do fly if I have to.  If there is another way of
travelling, I quite often prefer to go that way; but if you have to fly
and it's the quickest way to get somewhere, then I do.  (????, ?????)

        WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN LAS VEGAS?  THAT'S AN UNUSUAL PLACE TO
VISIT?
        I was there with a guy from the record company just for a
day, and it was really just an opportunity to see the place while
he had business matters to deal with.  It is an extraordinary place.
Instead of saying "How you doing?", everyone says, "Feeling lucky?"
It's like a strange oasis stuck right in the middle of the desert away
from everything.  We took a flight in a small plane over the Grand
Canyon, and it was one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever
had.  The Canyon is totally enormous, and we were so tiny - I've never
experienced that kind of vertigo before or since, and with all the air
pockets, we went up and down, up and down.   (1987, KBC 21)

        THEY SAY ABOUT YOU ALSO THAT ALTHOUGH YOU'VE BEEN SELLING
REALLY WELL IN ENGLAND FOR SEVEN YEARS OR MORE, YOUR EXPOSURE HERE WAS
ALMOST NON-EXISTENT.  AND PART OF IT WAS THE FACT THAT YOU DIDN'T LIKE
TO FLY, YOU DIDN'T REALLY LIKE TO GRANT INTERVIEWS, SO THEY COMPENSATED
A LITTLE BIT BY BOOKING YOU ON THE QE2.  WHAT HAPPENED THEN?
        Um, that trip was canceled.  As far as I know the boat just
didn't make it that year. [THEY BOTH LAUGH].
        MECHANICAL PROBLEMS.
        But I don't think that anything has actually prevented me from
coming to America.  It's not that I haven't wanted to, and although I
haven't flown for the last couple years, it hasn't stopped me going
anywhere.  And I'm here now!
        YES, I FIND IT PHENOMENAL THAT ALTHOUGH YOU WEREN'T ABLE TO
MAKE IT HERE FOR THAT TOUR BECAUSE THE FEAR OF FLYING OR THE DISLIKE OF
FLYING AND THEN THE QE2 HAS MECHANICAL PROBLEMS AND YOU CAN'T MAKE IT
OVER HERE.  BUT YOU SENT A VIDEO TAPE, A ONE HOUR VIDEO TAPE.  AND TELL
ME WHAT THAT DID FOR YOU IN TERMS OF YOUR CAREER HERE.
        Are you talking about the tape of the show...
        THE ONE HOUR TAPE THAT YOU SENT OVER HERE IN LEU OF THE TOUR
THAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO.
        Well that tour was actually in '79.  And it's not something
that I personally sent over, I think it was very much something that
the record company were doing, hoping that that would sort of get some
interest in the music.  And I think the tour is something that did
generate a lot of interest in people and the video of the tour is not
as good, I don't feel, as actually having seen the show.  But people
seem to like it.   (1985, Live At Five)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA