Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS!!!!

From: Murray Browne <murray@magna.com.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 14:06:08 +1100
Subject: Re: KT NEWS!!!!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 02:37 PM 15/11/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Apparently we have Karen to thank for posting to Love-Hounds THE BIGGEST NEWS
>OF THE YEAR!!  Here is IED's quick, more or less accurate (though scarcely
>idiomatically faithful) translation.

>(A)  Another concept album?
>
>(D)  Absolutely.  The idea was to imagine it not as a work with a break in
>the middle, but as a single sonic design.  Very complicated.  [IED cannot
>prevent himself from interrupting here to say CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW GREAT THIS
>NEWS IS?!  Sorry.]

I am literally tingling all over reading this!

>It will consist of a private album [with the sound characterized as] a type
>of first-run-through (this is the significance of Del's phrase "with no break
>in the middle,") as was the case with "Hounds of Love":  there will be a
>continuous recalling of sounds throughout the entire work.  "A continuity,"
>as Del himself put it.

I get the feeling that this is going to be a landmark release for Kate.
Hopefully on par with The Ninth Wave.

>Gilmour, in April, had spoken of "a song divided into three parts, or at
>least for now that's how it is.  It could be divided up into three segments
>or into three specific phases."

And it has one of the few God's I worship on it as well! :^)

>In other news:  Del also spoke of a trip undertaken recently by Kate (in the
>company of one of her elder relatives).  He said that she was gone for twenty
>days, making stops in Helsinki, Stockholm, Rome, Madrid, Lyons, Paris,
>Zurich, Dortmund. In each of these cities she visited the theatres.  In Rome
>they spoke of the Assiago Forum, but when they learned that it was used as a
>small sports arena they ruled it out.  It was suggested to her that, instead
>, there were very beautiful venues in Milan but she replied, laughing:  "Yes,
>La Scala!"

That would be right, she finally might do a tour, and I am living in
totally the wrong part of the world. I would be *EXTREMELY* (but
pleasantly) surprised if Kate tours.

Many thanks to IED for translating this for the list. It's not often we get
little gems like this off the internet.

In nature there are neither
rewards nor punishments.
There are consequences.