Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT NEWS!!!! (re-post)

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:20:23 -0500 (EST)
Subject: KT NEWS!!!! (re-post)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Date:  November 13, 1997
To:  Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
From:  IEDSRI@AOL.COM (Andrew Marvick)
Subject:  KT
NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently we have Karen to thank for posting to Love-Hounds THE BIGGEST NEWS
OF THE YEAR!!  Here is IED's quick, more or less accurate (though scarcely
idiomatically faithful) translation.

SOME PARTICULARS ON THE NEW ALBUM!

Not since last April (see News) was it possible to penetrate the wall of
silence surrounding the new work, but a few days ago our friends Lupo
Alberto, Helen and Stefano Magnani, finding themselves in England to meet
Metallica, did not anticipate that they would have occasion to follow again
the tracks of Kate.

They tried to do just that last September, but there was no longer any trace
of Our Lady in the neighborhood of Abbey Road.  Finally, after having kept an
eye on the offices of EMI Studios for a good six days, they saw Kate appear
in the company of Del Palmer.

What I'm about to recount is the fruit of a telephone conversation that was
had yesterday evening between myself and Alberto (who at this time found
himself still [or possibly again] in the UK);  I present the most salient
news from this conversation at the outset.

As is her habit, Kate greeted them courteously and disappeared rather quickly
afterward.  It was Del who very kindly hung around and accepted the request
to exchange a few words over a cup of coffee.  The gist of the encounter went
like this:

(Alberto):  How are you (two)?

(Del)  We're [doing the laundry??]!

(A)  Are you pleased with the new work?

(D)  We have worked and are working very well.  We've been [working with?]
three casts.  We see the work as a little like a film.

(A)  Is it the soundtrack of a film?

(D)  No, it isn't any kind of film soundtrack, but it's been constructed in
the manner of a film.

(A)  Another concept album?

(D)  Absolutely.  The idea was to imagine it not as a work with a break in
the middle, but as a single sonic design.  Very complicated.  [IED cannot
prevent himself from interrupting here to say CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW GREAT THIS
NEWS IS?!  Sorry.]

These were the few phrases that could be reported exactly as Del spoke them,
but Alberto also added from memory a few other particulars concerning the
conversation (obviously, he didn't happen to have a tape recorder or notepad
with him).

It will consist of a private album [with the sound characterized as] a type
of first-run-through (this is the significance of Del's phrase "with no break
in the middle,") as was the case with "Hounds of Love":  there will be a
continuous recalling of sounds throughout the entire work.  "A continuity,"
as Del himself put it.

Gilmour, in April, had spoken of "a song divided into three parts, or at
least for now that's how it is.  It could be divided up into three segments
or into three specific phases."

It seems to me that the the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.
Furthermore Del glossed over the question about the release date (so many
years with Kate have taught him well how to evade unwelcome questions...)

In other news:  Del also spoke of a trip undertaken recently by Kate (in the
company of one of her elder relatives).  He said that she was gone for twenty
days, making stops in Helsinki, Stockholm, Rome, Madrid, Lyons, Paris,
Zurich, Dortmund. In each of these cities she visited the theatres.  In Rome
they spoke of the Assiago Forum, but when they learned that it was used as a
small sports arena they ruled it out.  It was suggested to her that, instead
, there were very beautiful venues in Milan but she replied, laughing:  "Yes,
La Scala!"

What does all this mean?  All and nothing.  It's not the first time that with
a new album on the point of release, Kate has made a trip to half the
theatres in the world:  such a project was undertaken also in 1985 and 1993.

For any other artist but Kate this would all signify the intention to go on
tour, and also for Kate, and without a doubt -- except that in the end the
plan is never really written in stone!  Could this be the real thing this
time?  It wouldn't be a miracle -- but almost!

Final note:  Alberto reports of a Kate in perfect physical condition [form].
 And also very tranquil and relaxed, [IED couldn't figure out the last
phrase:  "smentendo quindi le voci che volevano qualcuno a lei vicino da
qualche tempo ammalato."]

----------- END OF REPORT --------

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S                  R              I