Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)

From: Marcel F G Rijs <mfgr@bart.nl>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 11:30:58 +0100
Subject: Re: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen) writes:
>Take me as an ludicrous example: I was once a zealot-pentecostal-christian
>and a friend of mine played a Jethro Tull album that I started to like,
>but rejected when I heard the singer swearing in a song. I never cared
>to consider the context, but saw demons everywhere I looked.
>This is what I meant: I think the original writer of the question was
>obviously preoccupied with thoughts about homosexuality, and thus
>came up with the idea that "son's coming out" was a reference that.

Ummm... As the original writer of the question, I can tell you all that I
am certainly _not_ preoccupied with thoughts about homosexuality. I just
bumped into the phrase "your son's coming out" when I was recording the
song "Cloudbusting" for the (now available and you can order it at my
homepage, see my sig below, HINT HINT, SHAMELESS PLUG) "Kate Bush Covered"
CD with my friend. _He_ wondered if it was a reference to homosexuality and
it was the first time ever I had to answer a Kate Bush question with "I
don't know". So, what does one do then? Yep, go to love-hounds...

>By not knowing the full context (who does, but Kate?), he turned to
>us for input.  At first I wondered, as did others too, if he forgot
>to add smileys, but after a short while I realized it was for real.

...except for the Subject liner. The first reactions were very much in the
line of: "No, Kate Bush is not gay". By putting "Kate Bush gay?" as Subject
line, I confused a lot of lovehounds out there. It made me wonder if you
only read the subject when you answer a question.... :) :)

>It takes courage to voice such a question without hiding behind
>an alias (hint to all of you using alias...), and it pains me to
>see Love-Hounds mocking him for it.

Nuff said.

>>        Open up your minds guys!!  If someone says "this song means ... to
>>me", then why not say "Ok, that's interesting...how about you person B?
>>person C?" etc..  Stop trying to restrict music interpretation and the fact
>>that songs mean different things to different people, and stop going against
>>Kate's view that songs should have a 'life of their own' - meaning the
>>original basis is not to be used as strict dogma.
>
>There is a difference between 'what a song means to me' and
>'what a song is about' (as in 'what is the story the song is telling').
>And that difference is to me quite clear, because many of Kate's songs
>really ARE short stories. As was my own "Excavator" song.

I _was_ more interested in "what a song is about", i.e. what Kate meant
with that sentence. All in all, I think one explanation (I don't know from
whom) was the best: that the son is "coming out" to pursue and follow up
the work the father had started. (In the clip, this is illustrated by Kate
running up to the Cloudbuster and putting it into work after the father
(Donald S.) was taken away in the car.)
Does anyone know if that is a correct use of "coming out" in English? Part
of my confusion was prompted by an overall lack of knowing if "coming out"
is used in English in any other way than "coming out of the closet", i.e.
being gay and standing up for it.

Coming closer to a final decision.....

Kind regards,

Marcel Rijs  <mfgr@bart.nl>