Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Interpreting Cloudbusting

From: spike45@sos.sos.net (wayne fisher)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 09:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Interpreting Cloudbusting
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

My feelings when listening to Cloudbusting have changed because of events in
my life.  The story:

About a year after Hounds of Love was released I had taken my dogs (3) for a
hike in the mountains. One of these dogs, Spike, was a dalmation that I had
a special bond with, as did my lover and the other dogs in our "family". He
was just so lovable. Anyway while in the mountains Spike disappeared. We
called for him (he always comes), but nothing. After searching for about
half an hour we found him at the bottom of a small cliff, lifeless. We
immediatlly put him in the car and while I drove to the nearest vet my lover
kept trying CPR on him. Well he died, and we buried him in the garden, then
went into the house in a complete daze. The dogs quietly settled down to
their usual places but one spot (right next to me on the couch) was empty.
Hounds of Love was still my most played album so I put it on to stop the
silence.

Cloudbusting came on with the lines: "What made it special, Made it
dangerous, So I bury it and forget." This is when the floodgates opened. Then:

"Everytime it rains
 Your here in my head
 Like the sun coming out -
 Ohh, I just know that something
 good is going to happen
 And I don't know when
 But just saying it could even
 make it happen"

I thought if I tried hard enough, concentrated, I could change what had
happened. "Just saying it could even make it happen." For years I couldn't
listen to Cloudbusting without tears. I picked out specific words and
meanings for those words regardless of what the other lyrics or the song
"really meant". I still can't listen to that song without thinking of this
special relationship and what a loss it was for me.

I already knew about The Book of Dreams, but still these few words jumped
out at me. My point? All feelings are real and worthy.

Wayne