Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)

From: "squidly" <squidly@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:04:04 +0100
Subject: Re: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)
To: <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

> This is what I meant: I think the original writer of the question was
> obviously preoccupied with thoughts about homosexuality, and thus
> came up with the idea that "son's coming out" was a reference that.

I'm sorry but this is *REALLY* patronising!  You seem to be making the
(somewhat dangerous) assumption that all gay men and women evr think about
is shagging and things queer.  While I'll admit that being gay HAS coloured
who I am and how I behave - how could it not when I'm under a constant
barrage of homophobia - I have more to my life than who's going to be
sitting on my face tonight or whether there are gay messages coming out of
the woodwork.   (ooh a flower! it CAME OUT of the ground!  It MUST be a GAY
flower!!!  Get a grip for gods sake!)

> It takes courage to voice such a question without hiding behind
> an alias (hint to all of you using alias...), and it pains me to
> see Love-Hounds mocking him for it.

It pains me too, but I'm afraid your comment doesnn't redress the
balance....the attitude expressed in the above comment seemed to be "Oh he
can't help himself, he's gay"......if ever there was a cause for anger, its
attitudes like that!

> I don't believe any of the postings in this subject are homophobical,
> other than in your view, Kim.

I beleive you're entirely wrong....but then I guess that's open to
interpretation, too, right ?

> Being homophobic is bad, but you should be careful when
> labelling people. Being anti-homophobic could be just as bad.

Being anti-homophobic ? That'd be "homophile" wouldn't it ?  Which in my
book is okay......but then....I love everyone :-) ( but not in the
"biblical" sense )

> There is a difference between 'what a song means to me' and
> 'what a song is about' (as in 'what is the story the song is telling').

Is there? Its this interpretation thing again, isn't it......

Lets take Cloudbusting....

"Like my Yo-yo that glowed in the dark
 What made it special made it dangerous,
 So I bury it and forget"

Hmm, sound pretty much like MY teenage years!

And how many of you can HONESTLY say that the first time you heard the song
"Cloudbusting"  without having seen  the video OR having read any articles
you KNEW it was about Reich, Orgone energy, The Book of Dreams, etc?  The
subject is so esoteric, I doubt anyone got it......the gay thing is much
clearer and not just to gay people!

Anyway....rant over......I'm off to make fairy cakes, or do some embroidery
or hang around public toilets or what ever it is we're supposed to do......

Love Kisses and Deeper Understanding

Will.....xx

PS  Hi Faith.....you knew this would happen, didn't you :-D

"When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor
less"
Humpty Dumpty