Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My failed attempt

From: "KR" <krobert@erols.com>
Date: 15 Sep 1997 22:49:50 GMT
Subject: Re: My failed attempt
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com> wrote in article
<m0xASDD-000VgTC@hirame.wwa.com>...

>    Was she referring to Kate? Or are you an artist?

Kate.  Most definitely.  I would hardly be accused of being an artist.

>    Actually I rarely expect anyone else to "get" Kate. I discovered
> her music in 1979 on Saturday Night Live. All the other people I knew
> who saw it just thought she was "weird"; some thought she was drunk.
> I, in the other hand, *had* to go out to get her album the very next
> day. So I never expected anyone else to understand. I found my
> girlfriend Vickie (we've been together for 15 years) via an ad
> in a music paper trying to locate other Kate fans.

SNL was my first exposure to Kate also.  If I remember correctly, she did
two songs: Them Heavy People and .... (I don't remember the other one).
Eric Idle was the guest host I think. Funny thing is, I have never seen
that particular program again.  Comedy Central show SNL reruns to death,
but never that one.

> >Ken
> >
> >P.S. Over in alt.music.pink-floyd they were having a discussion about
> >whether Kate and Dave Gilmour had/are having an affair.  Some of you
want
> >to go straighten those heathens out?
>
>    I'm aware of the discussion (I have a service that mails me every
> post where the words "Kate" and "Bush" appear together). As they refer
> to Guilmor as "...that fat bastard" I didn't relish jumping in.

I have stopped going to a.m.p-f.  Half the people there are Roger Waters
fans who do nothing but put down Gilmour and his music.  "That fat bastard"
was pretty mild compared to the usual fare.

>    It's not true, BTW. It's a sexist assumption by people unable to
> imagine that any woman could succeed solely on her talents.

Possibly, but in this case I think it was more a case of Dave Gilmour
haters roiling the waters, so to speak.