Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: To NG, or not to NG...

From: pdCampbell@goodyear.com (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:18:24 -0400
Subject: Re: To NG, or not to NG...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Cc: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 01:17:50 -0500 (CDT), chrisw@wwa.com (Chris
Williams) wrote:

>    There is already a Kate-based web chat board.
> (http://www.intserv.com/~dobenson/talk_to_kate.html)
> That you are unaware of it's existance proves how ineffective
> they are at attracting new fans. The spam in gaffa appears to
> once again be under control, and we have our lovely spam-free
> haven back.
I didn't know what to expect given the phrase "chat board", but after
checking it out, I realize I've been there before.  That is a guest
book, and not what I had in mind.

>    There are dozens of free web-based chat programs out there. What
> Gaffaweb *does* need is:
>
>    A search engine
>    A newsgroup archive
I didn't mean to imply Gaffaweb "needed" anything, just that I suspect
it may become (or even as we speak, be) a more important source of new
recruits than R.M.G.  Newsgroup tech. has its problems, and their days
may be numbered.

Anyone who walks into a library will be able to find Gaffaweb; most will
NOT be able or motivated to look at newsgroups.  Akron's free-net
supports email & web browsing, but not NGs--how about your city's?

Your typical AOL newbie--are they more likely to seek out Kate Bush on
the web or the NGs?

As for me and my house, I prefer the mailing-list.  I'm not against the
NG, just making an observation and encouraging the debate.

>    Any assistance in this area welcome.
What do you need done, as far as archives?  Is it gruntwork or something
that requires brains and style (both of which are sadly lacking in my
case).

Fare thee well!

"Change we must,                        pDaleCampbell
  as surely time does.                  pdc@acorn.net
 Changes call the course."
- - - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - - -