Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate vs. Diana

From: Stephen Strahan <stephen@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:27:05 +0800
Subject: Re: Kate vs. Diana
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
To: "Dongerous!" <fastslow@idt.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Dongerous! wrote:

> >yeah. someone who worked so hard to stop landmines,
>
> Those photo ops are such hard work. I salute her!

Apparently her interest went beyond simple photo opportunities (there
was a British documentary partly narrated by her in which she visited a
lot of dangerous places in Angola.. this is before the recent Bosnian
visit, so it would at least appear her interest was deeper and more
longstanding)... but I couldnt find anything to criticise even if her
entire interest were in the photo ops simply because of the enormous
interest her presence generates, and the positive results that it may
bring.

> > help find a cure for aids,
>
> Worked so hard to find a cure for AIDS? I am doubled over laughing
> now!
> Boy, putting those clothes up for auction must have been absolutely
> exhausting. Shoot, those scientists are just wasting their time.

Ok.. so it was a clumsy way to phrase it.  She helped raise an enormous
amount of money to help fund the research into finding a cure for AIDS.
Thats more accurate. I dont think anyone would seriously mean that the
Princess of Wales was finding a cure personally...particularly not with
yr facetious suggestion that putting her clothes up for auction would
result in a cure. Obviously being doubled over like that must have
momentarily starved yr brain of oxygen :)

> >and more is really an "airhead".
>
> Vapid, beyond description.

Your like or dislike of Diana is largely irrelevant to a discussion of
whether she was an effective fundraiser and creator of awareness about
various issues she felt strongly about.  There are enough ppl who have
been directly involved with her well outside royal circles.. ppl
directly involved in, or benefitting from the charities she creates
awareness for and raises funds for, who testify to her not being simply
the airhead you seem to see her as.

> >i'd like to know what you've done to
> >better the world. and of course she is mourned. she's DEAD.
>
> Lots of people die. Do you mourn them all?
>
> >>yet, Kate Bush, who has given the world more than Diana ever thought
> of, is
> >>relatively
> >>ignored.  Brilliance is ignored while mediocrty is Glorified!  Ain't
> the
> >>world a twisted place.  I hope I never live to see Kate Bush's
> death, but
> >>when than time comes, she definitely deserves a state funeral.  Kate
> has
> >>character that Diana only wished she had.
> >
> >you know why Diana gets more attention than Kate?
>
> This is easy...the answer is: Because Diana WANTED more attention than
>
> Kate. (Note Kate content!)

Actually I think that she probably did want a lot of the attention she
got.. but that she eventually came to have an extreme dislike of certain
elements of the press and their incredibly invasive behaviour. Just
because the Princess liked to court awareness and publicity for her
charities and occasionally for personal ends doesnt preclude her also
hating that kind of invasion of her privacy.

> >because she is DEAD.
>
> Oh, that too?
>
> > she died a terrible death.
>
> She got in a car with a drunk driver. She didn't wear her seatbelt.
> The
> driver was speeding. That's not a terrible death...that's a
> PREDICTABLE
> death.

Unfortunately thats mostly true, altho apparently it was not known or
visible that the driver was drunk. The only thing left to be determined
is to what extent the paparazzi were involved. The driver may well not
have been speeding if the paparazzi were not chasing. In fact if the
paparazzi had not been chasing them all evening Diana would never have
been in that car at all, as their original plans were quite different.
However being a predictable death, doesnt stop it being a terrible or
tragic death. Being mangled in a car accident is definitely a terrible
death by my way of thinking.

> >she did her best in her lifetime to show love and
> >compassion towards all people.
>
> Oh, she spent time with the little people. How nice.

Yes.. it is nice. Her visits to AIDS patients and indeed her touching of
an AIDS patient at a time when that just wasnt ever seen created an
enormously positive impact for AIDS sufferers and for those working with
them. I remember her visits.. particularly the one in NY where the NY
Times had a headline saying how disgusting it was that it took a foreign
dignitary like the Princess of Wales to publicly take a stance that no
other US leader at that time had taken for a major US (and world) health
crisis.

> Did you know that when she took her sons to see AIDS patients that
> this
> paragon of virtue told her sons the people had cancer...not AIDS? What
> do
> you think about that?

I think that shes entitled to tell her young sons ( they were very young
then) whatever she feels is appropriate. They are after all her
children. I wouldnt presume to tell her what was appropriate for her to
tell her (then pre-teen) children about an issue like that.

> >she's more well known than Kate because she
> >was the Princess of Wales for christssake.
>
> And she played to the press in an effort to maniuplate them.
>
> > Kate is a musician who was MUCH
> >more able to hide from the public then Diana was.
>
> Diana could've hidden. You don't hear nearly as much about the
> Princesses
> that didn't marry into the family.

that may indeed be true about other princesses.. but regardless of what
Diana may have said or done there was always going to be a huge interest
in the woman who at one time would have been the next Queen of England

> >Fewer people know who Kate is because she is a MUSICIAN. not a
> princess.
>
> Oh, yes...Michael Jackson is a virtual unknown.

<LOL> well... noone could accuse Michael of being publicity shy like
Kate :)  Michael is probably even more an entertainer than he is
musician... and being in the spotlight since the age of 10 has probly
warped his world view beyond recognition.. not unlike his face :)

> > and music is a very subjective taste.
>
> Okay.
>
> > Kate touched my world and many other's through music, but
> >it is stupid to assume that she would touch everyones. not everyone
> likes
> >her type of music.
>
> And those people deserve to be put to death...immediately. Bring me
> their
> heads and I'll mount them on the palace gates. Commoners...sheesh.

<LOL> well.. can I help?

> - Don

basically I think some people are too hard on Diana.. and others are
ridiculously inclined to canonise her. She did do a lot of good work but
she could also be vain and do stupid things.. she is neither vapid
airhead nor near- Saint. Nobodys perfect.  Personally while I feel its
unfair to condemn Diana as a total airhead I really dont see any
comparison between Diana and Kate (note obligatory Kate content ;-)  )
I dont think there is or ever was any competition between them, their
lifestyles and needs and positions are totally different. Doesnt mean
either is better or worse. Kate is a musical genius who has thru her
music brought incredible joy to millions... Diana has thru her
compassion and charitable work done the same (regardless of her personal
foibles and the media-built Royal soap opera).. May she rest in peace,
at least she wont have to worry about all this crap anymore. I really
cant believe some of the totally hateful and vile things some ppl have
said online about this. Oh well.. I guess it says more about them than
about the Princess.
Sorry for the rant guys.. Ive just read a lot of hateful crap about
this.. it makes me sick how vile some people can be (not meaning the
people in this post tho).. ah well
Laters

Steve