Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on SNL

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 03:24:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate on SNL
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Chris Williams amends:

>   The appropriate tribute to Belushi on SNL was delivered by Howard Hesseman.
>During his monologue Hesseman asked "Why are there no Belushi jokes on the
>show?" Like: "What's blue and sings alone? Dan Akroyd. Do you think John
>would still be alive if he said 'No Coke. Pepsi.'?" And he finished with
>"...if any of this has offended any of you...fine. I think John would have
>wanted it that way. And John buddy...if this has offended you...we'll get
>together...we'll talk..."

Yep...and in fact, if my sources are to be relied on, this bit was done
expressly because Hesseman and the SNL people considered the previous
tribute to Belushi to be inappropriate.

Getting back to Kate Bush: if someone has a tape of the *whole* Eric
Idle-hosted episode of Saturday Night Live on which she appeared -- not
just her musical performance, that is -- or even the edited version in
which her performance was edited out, I'd appreciate it if that someone
could confirm my extremely vivid recollection (mentioned in passing on
Gaffaweb, though I was unable to verify it) of Kate's participation in an
actual sketch on the show.

The opening of the episode hinged on the premise that Eric Idle had not
been given his opening monologue to deliver to the studio audience, and
wandered through the production offices searching for someone who could
give him the monologue.  At one point, he's directed to the writers'
office, which is depicted as a smoke-filled opium den.  And sitting in the
room along with the drug-addled writers...is Kate herself.  You'd probably
have to look very closely to spot her.

Am I correct in recalling this... or is it just a product of my own
drug-addled imagination?

the unreliable RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/