Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Melanie

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:54:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Melanie
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
To: "Dongerous!" <fastslow@IDT.NET>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Dongerous! wrote:

> At 6:42 AM -0700 9-14-97, Renee Rosen wrote:
> >On 12 Sep 97 at 12:22, Skipperway wrote:
> >
> >> Melanie wrote her "candle song" about the Woodstock experience.  I
> >> believe the title is" Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)".  It doesn't
> >> have anything to do with Marilyn Monroe, but it is an excellent
> >> song.  Her other general recognizable hits were "Brand New Key"
> (the
> >> roller skating song) and "Look What They Done to My Song Ma" which
> >> was bastardized recently in a commercial (salad dressing?).
> >
> >Well, I just can't resist adding this--"Brand New Key" is covered by
> >Rasputina on their CD _Thanks for the Ether_. I'm glad at least
> >someone liked it based on my recommendation; I'd have felt bad if
> >people bought it on my recommendation and hated it (very possible, as
> >my tastes are kind of odd). It's definitely for those who like the
> >more "experimental" side of Kate (such as myself).
>
> Okay...anyone ever heard Mott the Hoople's cover of "Lay Down"? It's
> incredible.
>
> - Don

It'd be interesting to get a thread going on female artists, who at
least arguably have talent, who either never were well known or who just
"disappeared". Melanie Safka might very well be the archetype of this
kind of musician. I could suggest a few others myself, without being
anywhere near that up on the subject. Anybody remember Florence Warner?
Megan McDonough? How about "other Kates"? Kate *Wolf*, for instance, has
her own loyal following. Or Kate Taylor (always wondered--related to
James Taylor?)

OBTW I have an uncle who's always been curious what happened to Melanie,
and who thought that the "brand new key" song made her seem stupid--sort
of the same way that Bobby McFerrin was messed up by the success of
"Don't Worry, Be Happy".

--Ron

--
http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/