Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HoL EMI Booklet

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:40:48 -0500
Subject: Re: HoL EMI Booklet
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Dongerous! wrote:

>The EMI booklet that came with Morrissey's "Viva Hate" says "Kate Bush and
>Sheena Easton." The next paragraph is split between KB and SE.
>
>In the HoL EMI booklet, it only says "Kate Bush." Then the ENTIRE next
>paragraph is about Kate Bush, and there appears to be no mention of SE
>anywhere in the booklet.
>
>Interesting, SE when from one of "EMI's two most important British feamle
>pop artists during this period" to...nothing.
>
>I wonder if KB got axed out of the EMI booklet for some SE reissue (like
>anyone would care about a SE reissue).

"Get me a bucket!" -- Mister Creosote

No offense to Sheena Easton...but wasn't she just a career-minded
undistinguished singer of undistinguished pop tunes who rode to fame on the
basis of a couple of publicity-getting gimmicks?  When they wore out, so
did her career.  But yeah, sure, let's lump her in together with Kate,
another EMI recording artist who has nothing in common with her apart from
gender and getting her name listed in the credits of a Prince album.

Me, I'm still wrestling with PDFM citing "Sting, Collins, and Clapton" in
his otherwise superb liner notes...not at all sexist, but since I don't
like any of those three it still made me wince.  Kate doesn't need to be
lumped in with that crowd either; her peers are the likes of Brian Eno and
Peter Gabriel.

Rolf Peukert wrote:

>Another question: In the title of the "MeTeorological Mix" (or, as EMI
>folks still spell it, "MeTeorogical Mix" :-) of TBS, the 'T' character
>looks something like this:
>-----
>  |\
>  | \|
>    -
>Is there any meaning behind this, maybe in meteorology?

I'd always taken this as another rendering of the "KT" symbol, familiar for
being hidden on all Kate's album covers.  Symbol of the Knights Templar,
wasn't it?  If there's another significance to this symbol in meteorology,
that just makes it all the more suited to Kate's fondness for multiple
layers of meaning.

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/