Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate

From: dlashley70@aol.com (DLashley70)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:16:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <199705131530.RAA11470@mail1.isdnet.net>, Crunch@mail.dotcom.fr
(Jean Moirano.) writes:

>Hi there from Paris,
>I saw Tori 2 years ago and the show has been very poor.
>many people leaved the theatre before the end (me too).
>Yes,she's beautifull but her music is weak compared to KB.
>Have a nice day and enjoy the Muzik.

Really?  Wow.  Actually, I dated this guy once who walked out of an Under
the Pink show, but it is still surprising.  When Tori hit center stage
with Little earthquakes, the only comparisons i could see to Kate were
they were both human females, their first albums were basically centered
around the piano, and they were both excellent musicians whose lyrics
captured the human condition.  Now, with more work under her belt, Tori is
even LESS like Kate.  Tori has spun off into some stream  of consciousness
writing which is very nice, but also the sign of a...how do I put
this...untrained, no....un-disciplined artist (I'm focusing on the lyrics,
here)  So what we have are Kate (with the Red Shoes) a cohesive album that
works as an entire entitiy, I mean, look...she made a concept film using 6
of the songs and they all worked together to tell a story, yet each one
stood alone.  With Tori's last album, very few of the songs made any sort
of logical sense and only occasionally struck an emotional chord (I mean,
what the hell is Mr. Zebra about?  I've heard Tori's explanation...and I
don't buy it.  I don't buy her explanation for 90% of Boys for Pele...I
still like it, I still adore her...but, get real Miss Amos)  I just don't
see any comparison to KT and Amos.  They are both great, very different
and I love both their styles (I am also HIGHLY infatuated with the music
of Annie Lennox, Siouxsie, Sinead and Diamanda galas....I have varying
tastes...and I can say everyone sounds like everyone else at certian
points)....Anyhoo..my 2 cents...you won't have to worry about me posting
to this topic anymore!

take care~  don