Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate

From: Michael Rees <mrees@pppmail.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

On Sunday, Marcel F G Rijs expressed with much marked refinement of
phraseology:

MFGR> Kate is a good musician in her own right, but through the years I've
MFGR> discovered that there are better ones, who can perform without all the
aid
MFGR> of knobs and faders she seems to need. I hope you will open your eyes
and
MFGR> ears someday as well.

So, then, a person who performs her/his work using more than one instrument
(e.g. effects, audio recorders, mixing desk, etc.) is intrinsically
*less*musical than one who performs the same few signature licks on an
acoustic instrument (e.g. piano or harpsichord)? Composition is about the
craft of expressing musical ideas regardless of the tools used or required;
it's about translating from brain activity to sonic disturbance.

Performance != Composition. Improvisation != Composition.

Flame off,
m.
--
Michael Rees  <mrees@pppmail.appliedtheory.com>