Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: random thoughts again

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 00:14 CDT
Subject: Re: random thoughts again
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In rec.music.gaffa you write:

>I think that reading what all of you people write is so cool!

   On behalf of everyone, thanks.

> In the ROLLING STONE ENCYCLOPEDIA of ROCK, they write that Kate has
>influenced such artists as Tori Amos, Bjork, Dolores O'Riordan of
>Cranberries, Sinead O'Connor, and Jane Siberry.  With the exception of
>Jane, who I haven't heard yet, I have albums by all of these artists.

    That's a bit surprising, as Rolling Stone has had little good to
say about Kate in the past, and has done an incredible job of ignoring
her.

    You should be able to find something by Jane fairly easily. She
has attempted to have the same sort of artistic freedom that Kate has
enjoyed, but has sadly not been able to pull it off financially.

   She has an early, self-titled "demo quality" album reccomended
only for die-hard fans, two early "pop" albums (No Borders Here
and The Speckless Sky) that are never-the-less very experimental,
two absolute masterpieces, (The Walking and When I Was A Boy)
that will take some getting used to (think The Dreaming and Hounds
of Love) and a stylistic change (Maria) that is very experimental,
but (IMO) a step backwards into jazz.

>Another artist I like is Madonna, and I'd prefer not to hear a lot of
>insults; I'm just mentioning her because she is the only artist I really
>love that was not mentioned in the other group.

   You'll get no insults from me. As Jon Drukman doesn't read this
group anymore (Madonna apparently burnt his house down and drowned
his cat) you might not see ny.

   I enjoy her music, especially _Like A Prayer_. Her lyrics have
a positive message, and anyone who would record something like
_Act Of Contrition_ is OK in my book.,

>Kate, however, came before all of these women, and I fall more in love
>with her every day.

   Kate was the first music I heard that made me say "This is IT!" I
couldn't get into what everyone around me was into (this was the 1970's
mind you), nothing "clicked". Kate did, and her musical explorations
readied me for so much other music. Oh, and lead me to the love of my
life, Vickie.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago