Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: random thoughts again

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:19:41 -0500
Subject: Re: random thoughts again
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

shane wrote:

>As for THE RED SHOES, this seems to be another album that people aren't
>totally thrilled by, but it is strong.  Like someone wrote before, Kate's
>worst is better than most people's best!  But I hardly consider this to be
>her worst.  "And So Is Love", "Moments of Pleasure", "Lily", and of course,
>"Rubberband Girl" are just delightful.  I suppose I will try to pick up the
>mini-film soon.  What are the six songs used in this film?

Rubberband Girl, And So Is Love, The Red Shoes (3X), Lily, Moments Of
Pleasure, and Eat The Music.  I'm baffled at the use of And So Is Love, as
the visuals are dull -- well, as dull as looking at Kate's face for 4
minutes and 18 seconds could ever be -- and the sequence doesn't advance
the story one jot.  But the film as a whole is well worth seeing over and
over again.

Before TRS was released, my expectations were badly shaken by a musician
couple I knew who had gotten an advance cassette copy from an inside
contact at Sony.  Although I knew this couple to be Kate fans of long
standing -- one of them had even written to Kate and actually got a
personal reply from her! -- they told me the album was "laughably bad" (a
direct quote) and it had put them off Kate for good.  They both assured me,
seriously, that after hearing this new album I probably wouldn't be a fan
anymore, either.  This really upset me.  Much as I loved The Sensual World,
there were a couple of tracks on it that I didn't enjoy nearly as much as I
wanted to, and I feared they might somehow represent the direction of this
new album.  And I had some misgivings about Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and
Prince being involved.  And I trusted the musical tastes of this couple.

To make a long story short, I finally listened to the album...and I never
listened to another word that couple said.  And we all lived happily ever
after!  :-)

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/