Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pink Floyd connection

From: rave123@pipeline.com
Date: 7 Aug 1996 15:53:30 GMT
Subject: Pink Floyd connection
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <4u4dci$ctb@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>, Suspended In Gaffa
writes:

>Here's one discussion I haven't seen yet.  Kate's unusual
>idiosyncratic (often nightmarish) use of the helicopter.  First it's
>used in the Vietnam setting of "Pull Out The Pin," the familiar
>war/nightmare use, an icon we're all familiar with, and then after
>that, it makes an idiosyncratic appearance at the end of "Waking The
>Witch," which until then was more directly in a medeival witch trial
>setting, and then the helicopter appears even more strangely again in
>a lyric of "The Red Shoes" where "they're gonna whip her off with a
>helicopter."

As a fan of KaTe Bush and Pink Floyd, I would also like to point out that
in the vinyl liner notes of "Waking the Witch", it says "Helicopter used by
kind permission of Pink Floyd "The Wall"".   I love the fact that these two
great albums are connected!

Of course, it is well known that David Gilmour, lead guitarist of Pink
Floyd, played an important role in starting KaTe's career, and played in
"Rocket's Tail".  Interestingly, I read in a KaTe interview that her song
"Wow" was meant to sound like a Pink Floyd song.  What do you think, Floyd
fans?  Any other KaTe-Floyd phenomena?

Cheers,
Rave