Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Helicopters!

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 96 14:22:00 EST
Subject: RE: Helicopters!
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 24 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds

 Someone wrote:

>Here's one discussion I haven't seen yet.  Kate's unusual
>idiosyncratic (often nightmarish) use of the helicopter.

 Who hasn't swung a stick or weighted string through the
 air so quickly that it made a swooshing sound? There
 have even been tribal cultures in which the sound of the
 bullroarer accompanied, and was thought to be a
 significant element of, their rituals of communing with
 their gods. Sling a glass-eyed metal monster under a very
 loud, flying bullroarer and you'll make a big impression
 on a lot of people. Ever see Capricorn One? I bet the
 director didn't have to think twice about whether to use
 light planes or helicopters for the pursuit sequences.
 I believe also that the extensive use of helicopters in the
 Vietnam War ensured that their unique sound could be used to
 evoke a strong emotional response in just about any context.

 TSB