Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Helicopters!

From: waldn@ix.netcom.com (Suspended In Gaffa )
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 18:47:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Helicopters!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au ("Forward, Jonathan") wrote:

>>  Date: Monday, 5 August 1996 8:57AM

> Someone wrote:

Not just "someone," but "Suspended In Gaffa."  :P  (No relation to
Kateknight, I assure you).

>>Here's one discussion I haven't seen yet.  Kate's unusual
>>idiosyncratic (often nightmarish) use of the helicopter.

> Who hasn't swung a stick or weighted string through the
> air so quickly that it made a swooshing sound? There
> have even been tribal cultures in which the sound of the
> bullroarer accompanied, and was thought to be a
> significant element of, their rituals of communing with
> their gods. Sling a glass-eyed metal monster under a very
> loud, flying bullroarer and you'll make a big impression
> on a lot of people. Ever see Capricorn One? I bet the
> director didn't have to think twice about whether to use
> light planes or helicopters for the pursuit sequences.
> I believe also that the extensive use of helicopters in the
> Vietnam War ensured that their unique sound could be used to
> evoke a strong emotional response in just about any context.

I think you have a good point, i.e. the sound.  I still get the
feeling Kate associates it as a threatening presence.  In other words,
if a helicopter shows up and you hear the sound of it, uh-oh!  :)
Whether associated with "the military" or even "the doctor and the
police" (in "The Red Shoes").  I just asked since I haven't found any
references yet from Kate herself to this often motif in her music.

A Lovehound

(But a regular one.  :P)

"Watching storms start to form over America . . ."