Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Helicopters!

From: waldn@ix.netcom.com (Suspended In Gaffa)
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 08:57:17 GMT
Subject: Helicopters!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Here's one discussion I haven't seen yet.  Kate's unusual
idiosyncratic (often nightmarish) use of the helicopter.  First it's
used in the Vietnam setting of "Pull Out The Pin," the familiar
war/nightmare use, an icon we're all familiar with, and then after
that, it makes an idiosyncratic appearance at the end of "Waking The
Witch," which until then was more directly in a medeival witch trial
setting, and then the helicopter appears even more strangely again in
a lyric of "The Red Shoes" where "they're gonna whip her off with a
helicopter."  Huh?  :)  It's an interesting idiosyncratic touch.  An
element with Kate's music signature all over the place.  A sign of
definite threat, foe, whether technology, army/control or whatever
(oh, I forgot to mention its appearance also in "Experiment IV")  A
male/Western "civilization" presence?

"Watching storms start to form over America"