Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: genesis: the nozicK translaTion

From: vnozick@Mcs.Net (Valerie Nozick)
Date: 21 Jan 1996 17:57:56 GMT
Subject: Re: genesis: the nozicK translaTion
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

The almighty IED wrote:

>  The excellent Valerie Nozick (via the worthy Wieland) writes:
>
>  >  Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
>  > And on the seventh day KaTe finished her work which she had done, and she
>  > rested for four years from all her work which she had done. So KaTe
>  > blessed the long waits and hallowed it, because on it KaTe rested from all
>  > her work which she had done in kreation. (Valerie Nozick).
>
> Unfortunately, the New Jericho translation interprets that figure to be
> "forty", not "four".
>
> -- Andrew Marvick (IED)
>      S              R             I

Phew! I hopped onto gaffa for the first time in awhile, and ran into this.
I'm amazed that my parody has been remembered!

I wrote this piece about 6 years ago from a different translation, when I
was taking an Old Testament class in college. However, I remember that the
switch to four was intentional -- it had been four years since the release
of HoL, I believe.

==> Valerie
vnozick@tribune.com

--
Valerie Nozick                                 vnozick@mcs.net

"Words weren't made for cowards" -- Happy Rhodes