Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

flying away from the meaning

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:28:11 -0500
Subject: flying away from the meaning
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Robb quotes the standard translation of "Ne t'enfuis pas" --

-- and writes:

 >  Are you sure? My French is pretty rusty, but I always
 >  thought it was:

 >> "If the great eyes of my God
 >>  Don't watch over me
 >>  I would fly to you".

 >  Not "flee from you".

Unlikely.  The latter imaginary (and grammatically unparallel) passage above
would have to read as something like:

 > Si les grands yeux de mon dieu
 > Ne me gardent pas, [note: not the clearly audible "gardaient"]
 > Je volerais vers toi  [not "je te volerais"].

"Je te volerais"  clearly has "you" as the direct object,
thus necessitating translation of "voler" here as the
transitive "steal (away)"  (or its rough equivalent).

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
     S               R             I