Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Maybe Davey

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:28:15 -0500
Subject: Maybe Davey
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 Emmy writes:

 >      Apparently the track 'Maybe', alternate name 'Davy', was one of the
 > tracks EMI considered good enough to be on 'The Kick Inside'. Kate
herself,
 > however, later referred to the song as 'bloody awful' which explains why
it
 > never surfaced.. Unless it's on the demo-tapes and 'Maybe' and 'While Davy
 > dozed' are in fact one and the same.. But I'm not too sure about that.. .

They are not, though the confusion is understandable.  Kate Bush wrote two
early songs: one (which we have all heard in the "Cathy" demos collection)
can be identified as  "While Davey (or Davy) Dozed"; the other (which was
reportedly once called "Davy/Davey" and is better known as "Maybe", and
sometimes as "Humming") is quite distinct.  Part of a tape of Kate's
performance (with a band) of this latter song was played by Kate during a BBC
radio broadcast in 1978 or '79 called "Personal Call"; and we know that it
was the third of
three more polished band demos produced by David Gilmour in 1975 which helped
Kate get her first EMI record contract.  (The
other two from that set were "Saxophone Song" and "The Man With the Child In
His Eyes", both of which went more or less directly onto the first album.)

Of course, this is only IED's best understanding based on less than
officially confirmed bits of information.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED),  lost somewhere along the route to
     Premier Records
    S                 R           I

     P.S.: IED wants to thank and applaud Rolf Peukert for his superb bit of
detective work vis-a-vis NFE and Sky 2 and the intriguing bit about G. Raffe.