Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ne T'enfuis pas

From: hart@corona.math.vt.edu (Heath David)
Date: 21 Jan 1996 19:33:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Ne T'enfuis pas
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <9601202330.AA05824@rigel.cray.com> btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray) writes:
>Isn't "Something happen I'll regret." grammatically incorrect? Either:
>	Something will happen ...
>	Something'll happen ...
>	Something happened ...
>	Something is happening ...
>Although listening I do hear the lack of grammar.
>I still sing it with the "'ll" and make it fit the available note slots,
>it seems they way she sings she skips the first note, ie comparitive:
>	Me:   Some thing ll    happen
>	Kate:      Some  thing happen
>OK, I shouldn't correct Kate on HER song, but if I'd been there in 1980
>I'd have put my 2p worth in to her, as she says it's the music that
>should be right, no one person should dictate how it will sound.
>
>Just thoughts, not an insult to KaTe!
>
>			Bryan Dongray

Someone else already posted this, but it's easy to overlook amid all the
attributions on this thread, so I thought I'd point it out again.

The line "something happen I'll regret" is part of a couplet that,
in its entirety, reads:

   "I cannot sit and let / something happen I'll regret".

It should be clear now that "I cannot sit and let something'll happen"
is incorrect, and that Kate's grammar is correct here.

That said, I agree that the French translation of this song is
excellent.

Heath