Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ne T'enfuis pas

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Andrew David Simchik)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 16:36:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Ne T'enfuis pas
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In <9601202330.AA05824@rigel.cray.com> btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray) writes:

[snip]
>Now it would have good to "cheat" in the lyrics and have:
>	Comme une chatte
>OK, totally non-French, but it would have put gender on the c(h)at.

What's wrong with a male speaker?  It's not something She shies away
from.

[c'etait moi qui parlais]
>> I like "je le regretterais," but I remember that line rhyming with "...sit
>> and let," which would make the line "Something happen I'll regret."  If
>> you're hearing it the other way, no wonder it doesn't sound right!

>Isn't "Something happen I'll regret." grammatically incorrect? Either:
>	Something will happen ...
>	Something'll happen ...
>	Something happened ...
>	Something is happening ...
>Although listening I do hear the lack of grammar.
>I still sing it with the "'ll" and make it fit the available note slots,
>it seems they way she sings she skips the first note, ie comparitive:
>	Me:   Some thing ll    happen
>	Kate:      Some  thing happen
>OK, I shouldn't correct Kate on HER song, but if I'd been there in 1980
>I'd have put my 2p worth in to her, as she says it's the music that
>should be right, no one person should dictate how it will sound.

I think "I cannot sit and let/Something happen I'll regret" is
grammatically fine.  "I cannot sit and let/Something'll happen
I'll regret" is not.  You could insert a "which" if you wanted
to ("I cannot sit and let/Something happen which I'll regret"),
I suppose, but *I* wouldn't want to listen to it.

Drewcifer
Andrew D. Simchik: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  (that's DREWCIFER to you!)
	http://www.cif.rochester.edu/users/schnopia/drew.html