Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Jersey: READ THIS!!!!

From: pamsusan@aol.com (PamSusan)
Date: 8 Jan 1996 01:11:24 -0500
Subject: Re: New Jersey: READ THIS!!!!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>> Picture an animal locked into a corner,
>
>Ok, I'm picturing a bunny on a leash in a corner, munching quietly on a
>sprig of alfalfa. No. Wait. I'm pictuing a brown-eyed cocker spaniel
>sitting in the corner begging for attention. No. Wait. I'm picturinng a
>contented old cow in the corner of a pasture chewing her cud in the
>warmsummer sun. No. Wait....
>
>> this volatile moment is the ambient aura of Dazy Mae.
>
>Volatile moment? Gee, I guess I was picturing the wrong kind of animal.
>OK, I'm visualizing now. I visualize a rabid Newfoundland chained into a
>corner. He's being taunted with a stick and is straining to break free
>from his chain. The chain looks like it's about to break!
>
>Ah, yes, that must be the right image. That surely makes me think of good

>music.

Stuart, have you ever tried to describe a band's sound? I think this
explanation is perfect for Dazy Mae's sound!

>>The band's influences range from "rock dinosaurs" like Pink Floyd (and
their >>contemporaries),

>Dinosaurs? DINOSAURS? Oh great, make me feel old, thank you very much.
>You probbly think anything produced before 1990 is fodder for the Oldies
>stations.

Dazy Mae is a young band, in fact the oldest member of the band is 20
years old, to them these bands are "dinosaurs". I am sure the statement
was made so that their publicist could give an example of their ages.

>>to the likes of Smashing Pumpkins and Throwing Muses.
>
>What I want to know is, how do the Muses and the pumpkins feel about
this?
>Are the pumpkins being smashed *into* the Muses before they're thrown, or

>are these two completely separate acts of violence?

; ) They are two seperate acts of violence LOL

>>Melodic vocals and guitar mix with a tribal rhythm section to create
Dazy >>Mae's distinct sound.

>Tribal rhythm section.
>"Listen to those drums, Tonto. The tribe sounds restless."
>"Yes, Kimosabe. They are frightened of the rabid Newfoundland."

Again, have you ever tried to describe a sound?

>>The band members feel that most contemporary pop/rock/alternative music
is
>>lacking melody, hooks, and emotion:  This is why Dazy Mae was formed.
The
>>band's music is a tool to challenge the audience. Listening to Dazy
Mae's
>>current demo or seeing them perform live is a refreshing break from the
>>usual monotony.
>
>Oh, I see, it's kind of like a public service. "Hey everyone, this is
>how music is supposed to be, just in case you forgot." How kind of
>them. I bet they have discussion breaks after each song.
>
>"You, in the front row, how did that make you feel?"
>
>"Uh, I dunno. OK?"
>
>"No, no, you're not getting into it enough. You there in the red
>shirt, what about you?"
>
>[zap!  A phaser blast disintigrates the red shirt.]
>
>"Damn Star Trek references! You with the purple hair. Can you comment
>on the effectivenes of the tribal rhythm section in that song?"
>
>"Oh, yeah, it was, like, wow. It made me want to kill the white man.
>Cool, man."
>
>"Very good, very good. You're really getting in touch with your inner
>musician."

Every band is trying to make a statement...to stand out from the rest.
That paragraph is only a description of how they are different. Lighten
up, Stuart!

>> Part of what makes Dazy Mae's sound different from other music in it's
>> genre is the vocals. The melodic verses seem to rise above the
>> instrumentation. The reason for this is that their vocalist, Sarah
Yates,
>> is a classically trained soprano.
>
>Oh, so she's read Aristotle, you mean?

No, Sarah has an amazinglu beautiful voice, and she is trained to sing
soprano in classical music.

>> Dazy Mae is a band that has something to offer any music lover.
>
>All, right! Now we're talking. Just mail whatever it is to
>
>PO Box 496
>Moxahala, OH 43761-0496
>
>Make checks payable to Stuart M. Castergine!

Stuart, get a life

>> There is a
>> place for them in the music of the 1990's, and for many years to
>>come.
>
>Yes, there's also a place for Michael Bolton in the music of the '90s.
>It's not just not polite to say what it is.

We all enjoy different music, obviously you wouldn't enjoy Dazy Mae:
Point Made!

>And heaven has a place for those who pray. Hey, hey hey.
>Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...

>> Dazy Mae play at various clubs and events within the New York
metropolitan
>> area.

I caught their show at the Pony and I can say that they were great. If you
get the chance to check them out, please do. Sarah Yates is an amazing
vocalist!