Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Jersey: READ THIS!!!!

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@dispatch.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:06:50 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: New Jersey: READ THIS!!!!
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On 3 Jan 1996, Dazy Mae 6 wrote:

> Picture an animal locked into a corner,

Ok, I'm picturing a bunny on a leash in a corner, munching quietly on a
sprig of alfalfa. No. Wait. I'm pictuing a brown-eyed cocker spaniel
sitting in the corner begging for attention. No. Wait. I'm picturinng a
contented old cow in the corner of a pasture chewing her cud in the
warmsummer sun. No. Wait....

 this volatile moment is the
> ambient aura of Dazy Mae.

Volatile moment? Gee, I guess I was picturing the wrong kind of animal.
OK, I'm visualizing now. I visualize a rabid Newfoundland chained into a
corner. He's being taunted with a stick and is straining to break free
from his chain. The chain looks like it's about to break!

Ah, yes, that must be the right image. That surely makes me think of good
music.

 The band's influences range from "rock
> dinosaurs" like Pink Floyd (and their contemporaries),

Dinosaurs? DINOSAURS? Oh great, make me feel old, thank you very much.
You probbly think anything produced before 1990 is fodder for the Oldies
stations.

 to the likes of
> Smashing Pumpkins and Throwing Muses.

What I want to know is, how do the Muses and the pumpkins feel about this?
Are the pumpkins being smashed *into* the Muses before they're thrown, or
are these two completely separate acts of violence?

 Melodic vocals and guitar mix with a
> tribal rhythm section to create Dazy Mae's distinct sound.

Tribal rhythm section.
    "Listen to those drums, Tonto. The tribe sounds restless."
    "Yes, Kimosabe. They are frightened of the rabid Newfoundland."

> The band members feel that most contemporary pop/rock/alternative music is
> lacking melody, hooks, and emotion:  This is why Dazy Mae was formed. The
> band's music is a tool to challenge the audience. Listening to Dazy Mae's
> current demo or seeing them perform live is a refreshing break from the
> usual monotony.

Oh, I see, it's kind of like a public service. "Hey everyone, this is
how music is supposed to be, just in case you forgot." How kind of
them. I bet they have discussion breaks after each song.

"You, in the front row, how did that make you feel?"

"Uh, I dunno. OK?"

"No, no, you're not getting into it enough. You there in the red
shirt, what about you?"

[zap!  A phaser blast disintigrates the red shirt.]

"Damn Star Trek references! You with the purple hair. Can you comment
on the effectivenes of the tribal rhythm section in that song?"

"Oh, yeah, it was, like, wow. It made me want to kill the white man.
Cool, man."

"Very good, very good. You're really getting in touch with your inner
musician."

> Part of what makes Dazy Mae's sound different from other music in it's
> genre is the vocals. The melodic verses seem to rise above the
> instrumentation. The reason for this is that their vocalist, Sarah Yates,
> is a classically trained soprano.

Oh, so she's read Aristotle, you mean?

> Dazy Mae is a band that has something to offer any music lover.

All, right! Now we're talking. Just mail whatever it is to

PO Box 496
Moxahala, OH 43761-0496

Make checks payable to Stuart M. Castergine!

> There is a
> place for them in the music of the 1990's, and for many years to
come.

Yes, there's also a place for Michael Bolton in the music of the '90s.
It's not just not polite to say what it is.

And heaven has a place for those who pray. Hey, hey hey.
Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...

> Dazy Mae play at various clubs and events within the New York metropolitan
> area.

Hey woj and Meth and other folks in that part of the country, is Dazy
Mae's music any better than it's PR copy?

scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine        |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|