Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Marmite

From: heustess@mail.utexas.edu (Brent Heustess)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:13:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Marmite
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9510260440.AA11654@rigel.cray.com>, btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan
Dongray) wrote:

> > What has Australia got to do with Marmite? I understand that the product
> the UK has called Marmite is called Vegimite in Australia, although I may
> not have spelled that right. For any Australian out there, Marmite is a
> gluey, black colour, yeast extract, I remember, a bit tangy in taste.
> Is this what Vegimite is?
>
> Many children in the UK grow up loving Marmite, such as in sandwiches, I
> remember my sister always loved it, personally I hated the stuff, but I
> also hate peanut butter too.
>
>                         Bryan Dongray

   I thought that I would add my 2 cents worth to a really silly thread.
Marmite & Vegemite are two different yeast by-products.  Marmite is
British & vegemite Australian.  They are not the same product with
different names.  They taste different, I am told.  Personally, they both
seem to taste like used motor-oil mixed with rancid soy sauce.
   However, my wife is an Aussie born & bred and she loves vegemite, but
hates marmite.  She also hates peanut butter.  The marmite/vegemite vs.
peanut butter split seems to be a common one.  If you were raised on one
you generally do not like the other.

Brent Heustess
heustess@mail.utexas.edu
nrbah@utxdp.dp.utexas.edu