Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Marmite

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 23:40:21 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Marmite
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

> From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
>
>    Ok, lets clear this up RIGHT NOW. Kate has never mentioned the word
> "Marmite" in any interview I know of. All this "Marmite" nonsense is
> due to a mis-transcription of an interview.
>
>    The interview in question was "Delia Smith's Cookery Course." Kate
> was talking about vegatarian food. At one point she mentioned, not
> "Marmite" but "Marmalade," describing it as a "...gravy substitute."
>
>    No, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, but it's what
> she said. Watch the video and it's quite clear.

Just did, and sorry Chris she DOES say Marmite - really.
To be precise, the conversation goes:
	Delia:	What sort of vegetables are in here?
	Kate:	Well, we've got carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion,
		and peppers.
	Delia:	Um, they're just cooked in their own juices.
	Kate:	Yes, she did them just naturally.
	Delia:	Hmm, hmm.
	Kate:	You can cook them in ... you can even cook them
		in Marmite, that's that's like a good gravy substitute,
		and soy sauce is very good. All sort of things.

It makes sense too, since it is the right thing as a gravy substitute
as well as Soy sauce. Just to check my UK/US word substitution:
	Marmalade is orange jam, often still with bits of peel still in it?

>     Yes, she did spend 6 months in Australia when she was very
> young. But six months is not generally considered enough time
> for a non-native to develop a tolerance to substances scraped
> from the bottom of beer brewing vats.

What has Australia got to do with Marmite? I understand that the product
the UK has called Marmite is called Vegimite in Australia, although I may
not have spelled that right. For any Australian out there, Marmite is a
gluey, black colour, yeast extract, I remember, a bit tangy in taste.
Is this what Vegimite is?

Many children in the UK grow up loving Marmite, such as in sandwiches, I
remember my sister always loved it, personally I hated the stuff, but I
also hate peanut butter too.

Had to laugh when Delia Smith said "Hmmm, lovely" later. Sorry it's an "in"
UK joke about a female essex-ish accent. I think the US equivalent are
Valley girls, and how they stereo-typically speak - possibly,

			Bryan Dongray