Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sarah n' Kate (was Re: Single File?)

From: glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Gord Locke)
Date: 26 Oct 1995 07:25:21 GMT
Subject: Sarah n' Kate (was Re: Single File?)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU (Buffalohead) writes:

>She [Sarah Maclachlan] recently said of Kate, "She's lost something she
>used to have."

	. . . Something that Sarah herself never had to begin with.  Well,
having said that, I must say I actually like her stuff, but she can be a wee
bit self-absorbed and pretentious.  Nice songs, but methinks she aspires to
loftier artistic heights than she's capable of expressing.  Or something.

jbuchwald@csun.edu (Norman Buchwald) writes:

>Gosh.  I thought she said she wasn't listening to Kate anymore.  She once
>said that she used to listen to Kate Bush all the time but had to stop.
>And that was when she was recording "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy."  I assume
>she had to stop because she felt a bit intimidated by Kate (or felt
>inclined to write/compose, etc. like her).

	When I saw Sarah in concert, I got to speak to her for a sec
afterwards.  I asked her if she liked Kate Bush, and she said never listens
to Kate anymore because she wanted to find her own voice or whatever, and
didn't want to end up being too influenced by Kate (and others).  This was
right after "Solace" came out.
--
   Gord Locke | glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca  |   "I love mankind, it's people
    in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada   |  I can't stand." -Linus Van Pelt