Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sarah McLachlan

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@csun.edu>
Date: 24 Oct 1995 20:57:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Sarah McLachlan
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

  However, Sarah's statement is admittedly a little too absolute; I
>think Kate is evolving, rather than losing her edge.
>    As for the "who is she to judge" statement, that's far too subjective
>a matter to even speculate upon.  All I can say is, Sarah McLachlan is no
>more or less qualified to judge Kate's music than any of the rest of us.
>
>Mike
>
>P.S.  Please, let's not have anyone assuming by this post that I in any
>way *disliked* The Red Shoes; I just don't think of it as Kate's best
>work.

I agree, let alone it didn't grow on me as Sensual World did.  Yes, Kate
was going for a more personal/"mature" approach on that one, and I was
looking for more Dreaming or Ninth Wave threads, but I was very impressed
overall, (with the exception of "Between a Man and A Woman."  She
should've replaced that song with "I'm Still Waiting.")  The Red Shoes .
 . I like most of the songs on the album, and Kate was even more
obviously going towards a new approach, almost (I think) by reviving some
of her memories of the 70s and the music she did then, and integrating
that with the music she had done in the 80s.  The more "accesible album"
(as some have called it) had a couple of songs in there that just weren't
as strong.  But Kate is evolving, trying to reach and break new
territory, and in some ways not simply do the same stuff until there's no
more surprises.  In spite of the problems I have on Red Shoes, there are
still surprises ("Moments Of Pleasure," "Lily," and the very different
sound of "You're The One" (like 70s Stevie Wonder) especially).  I would
also add of her recent stuff "Home For Christmas," too.  I'd like to hear
more Kate Bush acoustics myself!

                                                       Stormin' Norman

                                              Murderer, murderer of calm!