Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The spam filter

From: Goddess in Training <rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 17:23:01 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: The spam filter
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995 Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan wrote:

> No.  They set up the newsgroup with a filter to trap spam, but
> continued routing the messages to the host for Stev0, so that at
> least =one= person  would continue to send complaints to the ISPs of
> the spammers.  Unfortunately, his tolerance was over-estimated, and
> he's been driven off the system.  It might be suggested that he be
> contacted, and the situation be explained to him, but he'd probably
> be really angry and not rejoin; d_rned if we do, and d_rned if we
> don't.

Is it just randomly selected who gets the spam and who doesn't or is it
controllable?  If it's controllable, could I be taken off the list of
people who *do* get the spam?  It's not that I don't want to help
eliminate spam from the net, but just that I am really too busy to always
be sending things back to the postmaster or sysadmin, and I just end up
hitting "D" and going on.  Also, my Inbox is already always over its
limit, so I'd appreciate the filter going into effect for my
subscription.  Thanks in advance.
Renee Rosen                   "Dear Mr. Manson, have you heard of or seen
rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu     a man from Wisconsin by the name of Ed Gein?
Goddess in Training            You helped me discover The Beatles and Stones,
Astrud and Astarte on irc      but he turned me on to the beauty of bones."
LadyGodiva on the DivWeb                            --The Fibonaccis